Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild boar  (Read 3005 times)

carrick

• Joined Nov 2011
wild boar
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:31:31 pm »
hi everyone, I'm trying to find a wild boar breeder in the yorkshire area or or within a sensible distance. id be very gratefull if anyone can help  :thumbsup:. thanks.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: wild boar
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:33 pm »
Carrick
We have had wild boar threads before, there are stringent regulations to keeping wild boar in the Uk and your best option is to contact www.britishwildboar.org.uk for guidance and where the herds are in England. I don't know of any in Yorkshire.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

carrick

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »
hi mandy, thanks for your reply. i finally found a guy not too far away from me. i will be poping down to have a good look at his set up and stock there . thanks.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:59 am »
Hi - here in Charente (France) they are just that 'wild boar'.  They cause havoc to fields, woodlands and crops.   They are hunted by the 'chasse' who are monitored quite stringently.  The problem we have with the boar is that they destroy fencing and in doing so allow our sheep to get out.  We also keep pigs and are concerned that one day a wild boar will mate with one of our females and we certainly dont want crosses.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:29:30 pm »
The wild boar are getting nearer to us as well, here in Kent we have them less than 10 miles away.

Would agree that the worry is that they will get into your domestic herd - kill any piglets and males so they can mate with the females.  Damage to pigs, fences and well being.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:33:20 pm »
You need a Dangerous animals licence to keep wild boar. Whilst this is not too onerous and mostly common sense stuff - they check the security of your fencing and so on, it is not to be taken lightly. We were looking at keeping boar but the insurance cost was too high, as our land has a public footpath and adjoins houses. A friend of mine has a wild boar boar that he crosses onto commercial pigs and fully grown it is a terrifying creature. It has knocked down and eaten two of the 8 foot dense concrete block walls in its pen and is a quarter of a ton of pure malevolence. I now prefer to shoot the things in the wild out in Slovakia and bring them back dead rather than breeding them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS