Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: little boar Drinking a lot  (Read 2086 times)

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
little boar Drinking a lot
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »
i have a OSB boar that was the runt and hand reared when he feeds he constantly goes to water after every nibble on his feed ( sow &weaner) where as the others dont bother they just get stuck in and dont even look up . Do you think there's owt to worry about cheers

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: little boar Drinking a lot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »
sow/weaner nuts can sometimes be a bit indigestible or too big for runts and you'll probably find the water is helping wash them down, might be worth putting him on grower which is tiny pellets and see if that helps or dampen the sow nuts for him. i have had one or two pigs who like to drink while they eat, they like to drop nuts to soak in the water trough and go back for them later. I don't think i'd unduly worry unless you see that he's falling behind the others or hes laid ou or not wanting to eat
Hth
mandy :pig:.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: little boar Drinking a lot
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »
I always tell ppl that i'm no expert in piggery :) but the runt of the first litter we had struggled to munch on the weaner nuts so we soaked them in power milk so they went gooey and it had the extra bits from the milk just to give him the boost

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS