Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...  (Read 20722 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 12:06:50 pm »
We have metal wire and also use the blade of grass testing method and change our battery over weekly.  From first glance it does sound like you've got your strands a lot lower than we were recommended - we have our lowest strand at 15cm or a bit higher in some places and 45 cm top (I cant believe I'm finally metric!  That sounds about similar to 6 " and 16"?) and I do walk it daily to make sure they haven't rooted some turf to touch it (which as mentioned earlier will earth the system and rob it of power).  Every now and then they they do get a bit excited to see me ( or is it the food?!!!) and come too close to the wire and get a shock - boy what a squeal, but at least I know (and more importantly they know) that it is still working!!!  Good luck - I would hate to go through our first piggy chasing day again!!

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:18:57 pm »
Thanks for all the replies... It's far more scientific than first thought!

Is the electric tape type of fencing better than the white wire type then??

I have a 12v 85ah diesel car battery.. Would that be better than using the solar powered system?

The solars good I just think you have the battery wrong as what you need is a heavy duty one.

I think alot of these guys use the white tape as a middle wire, but commercials only use this in training pens.

Hey its what ever works for you!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »
to answer the point raised by stevie g    our fences are powered by mains 7000 volts and yes we do have a proper tester for it  i have seen one gentleman grab it to test it  and when setting the fence up the instructions said the only way to check for a good earth is by touching the earth rod and the earth wire with your body as a conductor     but very funny when anything touches the wire either intentional or accidental :farmer:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
to answer the point raised by stevie g    our fences are powered by mains 7000 volts and yes we do have a proper tester for it  i have seen one gentleman grab it to test it  and when setting the fence up the instructions said the only way to check for a good earth is by touching the earth rod and the earth wire with your body as a conductor     but very funny when anything touches the wire either intentional or accidental :farmer:

Brings a giggle every time Robert along as it is not me, ooooooouch!!!

The best way to do it without getting a big shock is to keep hold of it, but hey Iam not training my arm to do that and I feel that it is better in every instance to let go! :wave: Its a case of self preservation!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:04:32 pm »
the guy that boldly stated he could hold on to the wire every time it pulsed you could see his body jerk :D :farmer:

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »
A battery designed for electric fencing use will be better than a car battery.  They are designed for all of the energy to be used before being recharged.  You will find that they hold a charge much better than a car battery.  Keep the other one as a spare.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »
Ours is run off a car battery. Keeps our saddlebacks contained with no problems. One thing I've noticed these dark mornings is that when one of the pigs gets a bit clumsy at the sight of breakfast and touches the wire there is a visible spark. Shows me the fence is working for definite.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
££££££££££ssssssss for weaners ££££££sssssssss for feed £££££££££££ssssssss for etc etc etc  blade of grass for testing or hold the wire......... BUGGER THAT £10 for a proper tester showing a range of power outputs, you tight lot ;D ;D ;D........... by the way you need a big liesure battery they are designed to be recharged from flat, not like a car battery that should have constant charging....mine is permanatly plugged into and intelligent charger while running the fence, £30, oh no here we go again
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:38:20 pm by harry »

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
Thanks folks,

I've taken the battery out of the solar unit and put it on an intelligent charger. Once it's fully charged I'll put it back in the unit and move the fence to give the piggies a bigger area.

Thanks for all your advice.. :wave:

I'll keep you posted or should that be fenced.  8)

Thanks

Greg

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »
the pigs probably only need a few shocks then they probably wont go near it again...... thats why some use the white horse tape so the pigs then have a visual deterent........ might even work disconected once they learn.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
More than once I've forgotten to swith the fence back on. Pigs have never gone past the wire. A while back we tried to corner a gilt to give an injection and she would push through any barrier to get away except the electric fence wire. Once they know it's there they respect it.

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »
disagree with the last two posters            our pigs sense when the fence is off or earthing out also if there is an electric fence that they have to cross to get out the paddock you have to remove it days before you want to shift them :farmer:

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:18 pm »
the problem you would have with a car battery is
you cant let it go flat
if it is flat it doesn't charge up to full next time
leisure battery's are made to go flat and charged from flat or part flat
which are better for electric fences we have 2 battery's and a 30watt solar panel and charge 1 other on fence
it works well

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »
lol well ive got 11 pigs 9 of them escape everyday and they where on the same energier but the other 2 older pigs dont bother getting out , ive just moved them into winter housing total indoors they have a very large polly tunnel to play in but the 9 still escape from there section of it and they are still on electric fence but the older 2 dont bother and they arnt on electric fence at all just have the tape going across there door way so it just shows some pigs are just better behaved then the others , well at least im getting my daily exercise chasing 9 4 month pigs about at least twice a day :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 05:19:39 pm »
££££££££££ssssssss for weaners ££££££sssssssss for feed £££££££££££ssssssss for etc etc etc  blade of grass for testing or hold the wire......... BUGGER THAT £10 for a proper tester showing a range of power outputs, you tight lot ;D ;D ;D........... by the way you need a big liesure battery they are designed to be recharged from flat, not like a car battery that should have constant charging....mine is permanatly plugged into and intelligent charger while running the fence, £30, oh no here we go again

Tell me about it!!!  £250 for 200 m fence kit with metal stakes plus £60 for battery ......  and the tester that came with it doesnt work!!! (hence the blade of grass until I can be bothered to send it back!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS