Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Sow  (Read 2182 times)

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
Old Sow
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:14:52 am »
We've an old oxford sow, she was one of our first pigs, and grandmother to one  of our breeding sows, we'd kept her for sentimental reasons, however this morning was really lame on her front trotters, walking round (quite happily on her knees!) i've cleaned them up (not really bad) and sprayed them with foot master, but i think its more likely her huge size, she must be the size of a shetland pony well over 400kg. now we occasionally have had lameness before when there run goes from hard dry to wet, which is whats happened. now i'll keep her in now on deep straw and in till hopefully it clears up with some spray and medication but is this cos of her size putting pressure on her feet... do we sausage her???

robert waddell

Re: Old Sow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:36 am »
in here present condition you are stuck with her or until her feet improve
if you move her in her present conditionyou could be done under the welfare of animals act
we have never had a welfare issue but i am sure if you get a vets certificate then you can move her for dispossal or just to put her out of her suffering :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:41:49 pm »
 :'( :'( I hope she improves. Can you put her on a diet? Sentimental? Me? :-[

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:30:04 pm »
We've an old oxford sow, she was one of our first pigs, and grandmother to one  of our breeding sows, we'd kept her for sentimental reasons, however this morning was really lame on her front trotters, walking round (quite happily on her knees!) i've cleaned them up (not really bad) and sprayed them with foot master, but i think its more likely her huge size, she must be the size of a shetland pony well over 400kg. now we occasionally have had lameness before when there run goes from hard dry to wet, which is whats happened. now i'll keep her in now on deep straw and in till hopefully it clears up with some spray and medication but is this cos of her size putting pressure on her feet... do we sausage her???

This condition happens in sows of a younger age and  lower weight and doing what you are doing are the right options,putting her on deep straw, spray her foot and giving antibiotics.
In this instance a one shot injectioning of penicillin is NOT recommended ;) by me(but maybe by others) if you wish to have any chance of improving the problem. :wave:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:32:13 pm by Stevie G »

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
well quick update, she's improved markedly and up and about, happy as ever, we'll keep her in and keep an eye on her and keep spraying her feet. she's 4 now so not ancient but not young. she'll also going to be put on an a bit of a diet so hopefully "lettuce" will be with us for a while yet, i'll try get some pics!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:51 am »
Hi Windy
Our Delia had similar feet problems from a similar age and she died at the ripe old age of seven this summer gone, she was 49 stone! (we weighed her on local weighbridge for young farmers guess the pig weight) she was my first keeper pig we still have her husband gerry who fires blanks and is deaf who's seven too, hes got a young gilt in with him at the mo and he rejuvenated, helloooooooo girls a la leslie philips/terry thomas!!
Good luck with her.
best Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS