Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you recognise worm damage in pig livers?  (Read 2997 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
How do you recognise worm damage in pig livers?
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »
How do you recognise worm damage in pig livers? And if you do find damage how much does it matter - would you still eat it?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: How do you recognise worm damage in pig livers?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:26:15 pm »
If your pigs are being killed at an abattoir, you will not get the liver back unless it has been passed as fit for human consumption by the Meat Hygiene Service.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »
if the liver is damaged it is condemned    the carcase will be closer inspected and could also end up being condemned    if the carcase is to big for the slaughter line they the meat inspectors can also condemn the whole carcass
if there is damage the worm eggs could transfer to humans  would you take that chance???? :farmer:

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:10 pm »
in my experience ( former Abattoir owner/ still a slaughterman/ butcher) I would say that worm damage was in 20% of all the pigs that came into the abattoir, normally finding that if one pig in a batch of say 4 pigs had worms/ milk spots then the other 3 pigs would also have picked up the worm too.
The main thing my meat inspector  found was what was commonly known as  milk spot, which looks like  white blotchy 10p piece size marks on either part, or all over the infected pig liver and this whole live would be condemned.

Hope this is of help.

Paul - The Mobile Butcher

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:10 am »
Thanks everyone, Smiffy I see you're in Egton, I spent the winter of 86 in the Toll Cottage there - beautiful place. Small world eh?

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:10:13 pm »
sure is a small world, the toll cottage is a nice house,  just a bit too expensive for us locals lol.
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS