Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help!! New to this!!  (Read 3986 times)

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
Help!! New to this!!
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:10:55 am »
I've seen a family of KK's advertised as free to good home and would love to get them as pets, being new to all of this can anyone help me on the information I need before I start? We have a cph number alreday, do the pigs need any documents before we collect them?
Many Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Help!! New to this!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:18 am »
You need a pid herd number, which you get from Animal Health. You'll get the contact number for your area office on google or via Defra.

The seller / giver away will need this information for the movement licence, which s/he will complete and give to you when you get the pigs.

Check that your vet does pigs - not all do. The time to find out isn't when you have an emergency.

I assume you have suitable accommodation, feed, water and so on. There's more information on pig keeping if you click the Livestock button at the top of the page and choose Pigs.

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:10 am »
Thank you Rosemary, I'm not really sure if the people advertising them have got any paper work!!!! Is there a way round this at all???

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:50 am »
You can download a paper balnk AML off the BPEX website.

http://www.eaml2.org.uk/resources/000/446/911/f2f_proforma.pdf

Fill in a copy for the people you're getting them off and a copy for you to send off when you get home.
Ignore all the guff about website and keep a copy for your records and put a copy in the post to Stoneleigh
Address is on BPEX website
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:29:22 am »
So that's all I need to do??
Thanks for that Mandy, hubby has sorted all their accommodation out, water sheter etc and was worried that if there was no paperwork etc it would be a no go! What if they dont have a CPH number? Sorry so many questions!!!!!
Laura

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
They should have a CPH if they keep livestock, if they don't its serious do do time! but alsa not everyone does stuff the right way around.
If they can't or don't have a CPH which means as you suspect they won't have paperwork either all you can do is miss out the CPH part and write unknown across it and make sure you get their full name and address than its up to the authorities to sort them out, if you don't think they have one it might be worth a quick call to your local trading standards office to ask therm a 'theoretical'  ;) question about it and see what they advise.
oaklands might have some ideas.
Ps if they don't have a cph its unlikely the original move from when they bought them was ever notified to the authorities so you might have grief there too, might be worth asking if they have the original paperwork they got them on.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:58:25 am by Fowgill Farm »

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »
Great, Thanks again Mandy.
So wher to go from here.... Ask the peeople for all the info they have and hope for the best?
The sow and boar are both just over a year old and have just had their 1st litter about 10 weeks ago, really hope we can sort something out. :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »
if as you suspect there is no paperwork  as in they do not have cph number and pig herd number
i would not touch them
if it is pedigree papers that you refer to there is no problem they are just pigs  :farmer:

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »
Im not bothered about registering them just really need a herd number!!
Hoping we will be able to sort it, fingers crossed ;)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:53 pm »
I might have missed it on here somewhere but animals that are over a year old need to be ear tagged with the herd number on it before it can travel ........ or am i wrong?

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »
From the little I know I assumed this too ??? Really dont know what to do

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:22:03 am »
Do you know anyone who's an experienced pig keeper who could go with you to see these people, they'll know what to ask for? You're in lincolnshire?? There must be somebody nearish that could help you with this.
If you can't get anyone to go with you this is the info you need. They by rights should fill in the AML but you could do it together.
1. CPH number
2. name, address, telephone number pref landline
3. number of pigs collecting, if they are not tagged you need their herd number, (or if you can the herd number of the people they bought the pigs from, the original paperwork they got them on may have this info if they can find it)) and you can make a number up for them to add on the end eg AB3456/51 & 52 (part in red is eg of herd no) you can get some tags if you wish when you get home. We have a cross bred sow that visits us and all her tag says is her herd number so it can be done.
4 you will be the transporter & destination so thats yours to fill in.
See what you can gather amd take it from there.
HTH

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:38 am »
Panic over! After a few phone calls we got there they do have a holding number and a herd number :thumbsup: Looks like we will get our piggies after all :pig: :pig:
Thanks to you all for your advice :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
You will enjoy them :) Pigs are wonderful! Glad it's all sorted :wave:

smith032

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
Thank you sylvia, do they like small children as my 2 are so excited I hope they don't scare the poor things ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS