Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Travel question  (Read 2889 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Travel question
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »
Is it possible to split a journey when transporting pigs?  What i mean is can a new owner meet me half way and transfer the animals to whatever they have, be it a trailer or dog crate (depending on pig size) is this possible and how would the paperwork work?

HappyHippy

Re: Travel question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »
If the movement licence goes with them I wouldn't have thought it would cause problems - but if it's paper free (eAML movement) I'm not sure. A quick phonecall to the Animal Health Officer at your local trading standards (council) will sort it for sure.
Sorry can't be of more help  :-\
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:14 pm »
that will be another question for oaklands to ask or we could ask that tomorrow when we get the chance
the animal health or trading standards officer just ask defra at galla (for Scotland) :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
Welshlass have sent you a PM
mandy  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:32 pm »
Is it possible to split a journey when transporting pigs?  What i mean is can a new owner meet me half way and transfer the animals to whatever they have, be it a trailer or dog crate (depending on pig size) is this possible and how would the paperwork work?
If you ae selling the animal live and privately then the paper work must go witht he truck that meets you other wise the stock inspectors might catch you out.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:17 pm »
I don't directly have the bit of legislation, but in Defra's guide to multiple pick-ups and drop-ffss the following para appears

"NO transfers of livestock between vehicles (or unloading of livestock except in an emergency) are allowed at any stop, whether scheduled or not other than in the case of a multiple pick-up/multiple drop-off operation."

Multiple pick-up/drop off is quite complicated (so much so that you'd never want to do it without a lawyer present!) , and swapping an animal between vehicles would not qualify.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »
well that will be the cast sow and boar market buggered in Scotland special thanks must go to the arseholes that dream up the legislation that we have to comply with :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:31 am »
Robert,

if you are talking about markets and collection centres, then this is entirely different. 

The Q was about a single/few pigs being swapped between vehicles in say a layby.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:33 am »
both questions
there is artics that go from aberdeen to south england and can collect on route at any pre aranged point :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:45:19 pm »
Robert - that trip south would come under the multiple pick-up rule.

This is quite complicated, and not for the amateur!   The professional guys will know the ins and outs of stops on way, not parking within 100 metres of other livestock, knowing where you can legally stop, carrying portable disinfectant, picking up from other farms only from isolated (disease wise) areas, rules on dropping tailgate, cleaning area lorry has parked in etc. etc. etc. (4 pages of regs).  This will get further complicated by e-aml so more fun.

Anyway the commercial guys know what they're doing, would suggest that without careful reading of the rules, multiple pick-up/drop off should not be attempted !

and I agree Robert - the rules never get easier, you'd think sometimes we were carrying Nuclear waste !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:10:30 pm »
oaklands i just do not know how to respond to what you have written      i was going to comment on you having a giraffe
as i said before the cast trade buggered by arseholes :o :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »

Knowing the difficulty with which I load my pigs sometimes and also carrying squealing piglets I wouldn't try to do this anywhere they can easily escape... or someone not familiar with pigs can hear the creams...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS