Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can pigs eat pumpkin  (Read 10766 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
can pigs eat pumpkin
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »
Are Kune Kune pigs allowed to have pumpkin as part of their diet. I have some surplus pumpkin and was wondering if they could have it? Thank you  :wave:

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: can pigs eat pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:05 pm »
Our pigs adore pumpkins. They use them as footballs for a short period before munching them.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:06:56 pm »
Seconded, my old spots adore them. Those and squash.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »
I'm looking forward to Nov. 1st. and going round to buy up unsold pumpkins. My pigs have always had a rare old time with them. A couple of large pumpkins keep them occupied for hours, rolling them up and down the field before finally getting a tooth-hold and pulling them apart ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »
I have never seen anything more joyfully eaten than pumpkin slices (wish I could have let them have a game of footy first, but they are on a mad slope so they would have lost it through the lelectric wire and been very sad :(  !!)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:51 pm »
Ours love pumpkin, squash of any kind or marrow/courgettes. The thing they went craziest for though was over ripe melons.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:06:59 pm »
they must be happy pigs if they get melon.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:20:31 pm »
So think that's a yes then !!

Ours have been having them for a few days now
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
Love the idea of pigs eating carved pumpkins on the 1st November, slightly scorched inside from the candles.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:55 pm »
I read this last night and when i was shopping today i saw pumpkins down to 99p so i bought 4 :) 1 for each pen.  The boars got bored and were only interested when we split it, the weaners got annoyed cos their mouths aren't big enough to get to the flesh so we hit is and they got stuck righ in, the 2 females got right stuck in by themselves and split it and munched it lol and my mum and babies was more intersted in the hard feed and flinging piglets than eating it lol

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:13 am »
We cut big ones in half and the piglets stand in the middle of them and munch the edges!
Splitting them is a good idea and then they don't roll out of reach!
HTH
mandy  :pig:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »
After reading this topic I bought 2 yesterday and cut them in half so all 4 pigs got a go. I gave them to them this morning, wandered down to sort the horses out and about half an hour later went back to the pigs and there was no evidence whatsoever that the pumpkins had been there, every scrap gone - wow :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS