Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar hire.... how much??  (Read 13808 times)

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
Boar hire.... how much??
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »
Can anyone give me a rough idea how much I can expect to pay to hire a proven x breed boar,to come stay for 6weeks? Thanks

robert waddell

Re: Boar hire.... how much??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »
not very much for a x breed   remember you have to feed it for the 6 weeks
price out AI  and take it from there :farmer:

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:44:44 pm »
Thanks Robert, been quoted £50 which seems a bit steep to me!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:54:04 pm »
£50 FOR A X BREED YOU WILL PAY LESS FOR A PEDIGREE PIG TO MATE :o :o

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »
At a show, a breeder handed me a leaflet advertising her kune kune boar.  It was £40 for the service, and £10 per week keep, at her place.  That was a registered boar.

The price quoted to you, seems high to me, especially as you will be feeding/bedding the boar.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:32:10 pm »
AI is £20 for 3 bottles. for pedigree beast. if that helps...

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:39:37 pm »
yes but that is only one cycle  if you factor in the second cycle thats £40  :farmer:
£10 a week to keep a kunie is that not to dear if they are eating grass ;)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:34 am »
Someone "lent" me a Kune boar. He arrived at the end of July and I think they may have "forgotten" to collect him :D

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:12 am »
the first time we did it, we paid 180 (60 quid per sow but the boars owner delivered and picked him up and he was over an hour away) and he serviced 3 of our sows, that was for a pedigree registered boar, now with hindsight that was far too much and one sow didn't take so we were hugely out of pocket, 2nd time lesson learned, we got a registered one for 20£ per service and only did the 2 sows (3rd was in freezer) they were smaller litters, a 3 and a 7 but very good pigs.
you can't get ai yet for oxfords otherwise (unless some one knows different?)i'd use it, but they do enjoy a boar, in time we'll get our own, problem is the hassle of either getting rid of offspring or regularly changing the boar...hmmm
it'll wait till next year!

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Thanks folks :wave:, looks like some negotiations are called for then ;) Or if anyone knows of a boar Herefordshire/welsh borders looking for lodgings for a few weeks give me a shout please.she's a big girl(wessex saddleback/pietrain) so needs to be a fairly big lad!!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:16 am »
Someone "lent" me a Kune boar. He arrived at the end of July and I think they may have "forgotten" to collect him :D

Yep, I got stung like that last year !  :( The hire boar owners went AWOL after four weeks and the damn thing ended up here for six months - must be the most expensive hire ever ! (I guess I have MUG tattooed on my forehead).

A pedigree boar (much nicer boar and owners !) I used to send my sows to, charges £75 per sow, including keep for six weeks.

I've just bitten the bullet and brought a young boar; after not being able to find a suitable local one  :pig:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:07:09 am by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:24:50 am »
We charge £30 for service & £10 per wk keep for Sows/gilts coming to our pedigree GOS boar. Our boar only goes out to one friend and she collects and drops him back, looks after him like her own and feeds him well so i don't charge her anything as it gives me a break twice a year. Other than that he has his ladies at home and if they bring feed with them we knock it off the bill.For a cross i wouldn't expect to pay more than £30 especially if you're feeding him, collecting & dropping him off, but if they're doing the running round well with the price of diesel £50 sounds about right.
HTh
Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24:18 am »
Hi Gapcap,
Whereabouts are you, I am just over the Herefordshire border into Powys about 7 miles from Kington.I have a pedigree Berkshire boar you can hire,£50 delivered if not too far away.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:09:21 pm »
We have a Pedigree Old Spot boar for whom I don't charge anything for.     I do however go out and check that I'm happy with where he's going and that the sows are well looked after.    I feel that if someone is happy to feed him and look after him then that's all I ask.    I do keep tabs on him though to make sure he's OK.

:wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »
Windymiller, I have heard that deerpark have OSB semen now though we've not asked as we have a boar. We don't advertise him as a stud boar but do let friends use him: fees depend on whether we take him to them or their sows come to us, and how many sows he's covering, but generally around £30 for one sow plus his keep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS