Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to make the most from 10 acres? Advice needed  (Read 4850 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
How to make the most from 10 acres? Advice needed
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:56:49 pm »
Hi, my mate owns the land where I have a couple of pigs,it's about 10 acre with a pond that's about 200mtrx100mtr, no buildings can be put up due to it been in national park area that said there was a lambing shed which still has 2 standing old stone walls.The land is not farmed,a local farmer puts his sheep in free of charge to keep the grass down.

My question is are there any grants or other sources of funding we could get to help fence it and repair existing stone walls? We are thinking toward conservation so don't really want hundreds of campers about,

Advice/questions very welcome

Thanks

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: How to make the most from 10 acres? Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:38:23 pm »
i'd go to the Park's trust people ,they may well put you on to some of their other tennants who have done what your after.. it costs nothing to ask .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:04:06 am by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »
if your registered as a farmer you can claim single farm payment, which on ten acres would be around 800 plus if you get on the stewardship scheme you can get grants for walls, hegrows, permenant pasture etc, but its all in flux as its chainging in 2014

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »
windymiller you are incorect with your statement :farmer:

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:29:46 pm »
well it works for us we have a single business identification number (sbi), a CPH (county parish holding number) and entitlements on the land, which enable us to claim single farm payment, which just checking gives us 986£ pa on one 14 acre lump we own, plus the lower level stewardship payments which comes to about another 400£ pa.
now i should have expanded on the entitlements bit, and the sbi and cph stuff, but thats about it, other than filling in forms, if you don't have entitlements you can buy them.
now whats wrong with my statment?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »
WM, I wonder if the rules are the same for England and Scotland? Robert is in Scotland (you might have already guessed that  ;) ), but he should have explained why he thought your statement was in error rather than just saying it was incorrect. IMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
the single farm payment is as it says one payment
this is made up of all the old subsidies hill cow sub calve sub sheep sub lfa payment extensification payment cereal payment etc etc
you had to be claiming any of these payments to be entitled to single farm payment   yes you can buy this and yes you can have it with land you buy    if the previous owner does not keep it
you did not give much away in your post
the grants well you have to contribute towards the cost  so it is not a freebie and you have to qualify first
forty years ago there were 100%grants to rip out hedges straighten out rivers and ditches and drain bog land now it is role reversal there is a farm i know of that was drained had new sheds and milking parlour constructed also a new house all with grant money  it is now going to be developed for houses and small industrial units   o and he still gets single farm payment for producing milk that he last milked a cow 10 years ago :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS