Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping a tup with ewes through lambing?  (Read 4759 times)

WoodyBuzz

• Joined Mar 2009
Keeping a tup with ewes through lambing?
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:00 am »
Hi, I hope someone might be able to help me...

I keep 5 ewes and a tup (plus a castrated tup companion!) in a field at home and just wanted to ask some advice on whether it will be ok to leave them all together through lambing.

I have three other flocks of sheep two of which I have seperated the tups and the other we leave running together throughout lambing with no problems.

Does anyone have experience of keeping a tup with ewes (very small scale) through lambing?

Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Keeping a tup with ewes through lambing?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »
Yes I have done so on occaision and its not a problem!!!..........may depend on breed, but wouldn't think it a problem :) Lambs climbed all over long suffering bloke!!! ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

WoodyBuzz

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:35:11 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

They are Hebrideans and have been absolutely fine since we put them all together. Woody (tup) occasionally fights with a fence post/side of their shelter/mineral tub and when I go in the field gets a little over excited but we tend to hold on to his horns to avoid anything happening!

He has never shown any aggression towards the girls or Buzz (his castrated friend) and is happy following our lakeland terrier around the field for hours! I was just worried that he might be aggressive towards the lambs and they wouldn't be able to escape!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:20:07 pm »
Different species, I know, but I wouldn't let my dog anywhere near any puppies and if I did both my bitches would have seen him off. ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:29:41 am »
It is down to personalities, also watch out if you put a bucket of lifeline out for the girls, boys aren't supposed to have too much of it. I like the boys in with the girls, whatever the type as it keeps the peace and purpose. My hens without a cockeral are useless. Pigs are a little difficult to keep fully together.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS