Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed of meat sheep will my low apple trees be safe with?  (Read 7973 times)

claireS

• Joined Feb 2009
What breed of meat sheep will my low apple trees be safe with?
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »
I would like lambs fo meat in my orchard. The trees are low to the ground - is there a particular breed of sheep that is going to leave them alone?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: What breed of meat sheep will my low apple trees be safe with?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:23:53 pm »
We keep Ouessant Sheep which produce meat that is second to none, really delicate sweet lamb, and we have no problem in the orchard at all.  The goats !  Well there is another story, but no probs with the sheep.

Kate  :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:56:29 pm »
 ;D ;D ::) ::).....Depends.....

I have lots of Ouessants that leave the trees alone and others that would bark them better than a goat!

However you will not geta lot of meat off a Ouessant ;D (taste very good though!)

ANY sheep will go for fruit trees.....along with willow they taste very good to a sheep..........I personally would never trust any tree except a big one with sheep!

Its very easy to construct tree guards around the trees.........3-4 posts, a top rail and stock netting is needed.

Good luck

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:38 pm »
I totally agree this breed isnt for meat production at all. Sheep wont eat the bark rili at all what ever there breed. But will do if become hungry. Where are you near to Aberystwyth ClaireS because im not that far from that area.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:37:21 pm »
Mine are never hungry, in fact they are fat and always have plenty of grass, hay etc......fruit trees are like chocolate to some sheep...........could you resist?????
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »
one with no teeth ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:25 pm »
One of our three eats trees - the other two don't. Odd.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »
When trying to choose a breed what main things are you looking for that you want claireS ?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:13 am »
I am going to controversial now and disagree that Ouessants are no good for meat production.  They are smaller it is true, but we are a two person family now that the kids are all grown, and we find the Ouessant perfect for two.  Four joints, and chops that are not that much different from the size of other lamb that I have bought. The ribs are still good for picking at or casseroling, and the neck makes a great casserole also.

We keep one larger sheep in our flock - Rouge l'Ouest/ Avranchee cross to produce the larger lamb for those occasion when I have family and friends to feed, or need more chops for a BBQ for example, but in general I would really recommend it as the perfect choice for a couple.  She was infact sired by a Ouessant Ram - he does stand taller I have to say, and perhaps not of perfect breed standard, but we have the larger Ouessants because we do want them for meat.  The really tiny ones would not be suitable for meat production.

So depending on your circumstances I would just say do not dismiss this breed totally if you are a small family.  Easy to keep, very friendly, and superb meat even if there isn't so much of it from one lamb.

Kate  :sheep:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:22:13 am »
I know of others who keep ouessants for meat production too. those within standard are very slow to mature and probably not worth doing much with until  at least a year old which means for meat production they may not be the most efficient. I agree over the size of leg, my cotentin cross lamb ( six months) killed out at 32 kilos of meat :o :o but you need a large family to get the most out of a leg;
depends how intensive you want to be are you thinking of meat for home consumption only? amount of land available lots of things to decide on. I have one lamb from last year who will be meat for this year and they are very good eating but i wouldn't necessarily choose mine for meat production i do try to grow them within standard
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS