Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP WANTED - TRANSPORT FOR PIG  (Read 4711 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
HELP WANTED - TRANSPORT FOR PIG
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:55:11 am »
Does anyone have a trailer and van for hire for half a day  please?

I am in Monk Fryston near Selby and York (LS25). I have planned to sell my car to get a 4x4 and a trailer but my plans have been scuppered as my car has not sold (even tho' I was assured by several friends 'in the know' about cars that it would be snapped up) :(

I would like to take him next week or the week after if possible - butcher permitting!

Thanks for reading this and hope you can help.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: HELP WANTED - TRANSPORT FOR PIG
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »
What about a neighbour that has a truck going to the abattoir.  Can you not get on this with your pig.  I just means asking

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »
Yes, ask around the farms in your area, though you can't just put your pig in with someone else's - they'd fight to begin with!

Depending on how (sub)urban your area is, trailers can be difficult to find. We were very lucky to be able to hire one from a local farmer. Offering to 'hire' rather than 'borrow' helps  ;)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »
Yes, ask around the farms in your area, though you can't just put your pig in with someone else's - they'd fight to begin with!

Depending on how (sub)urban your area is, trailers can be difficult to find. We were very lucky to be able to hire one from a local farmer. Offering to 'hire' rather than 'borrow' helps  ;)
A gate between them is a good idea or a shot  of Stresnil.....calms them both down, makes them go to sleep for an hour and when they wake they are the best of mates......

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:51:45 am »
Put up a pleading postcard in your local market and feed merchant. I may bring a result. You could borrow mine but S. Devon is a bit far to collect it :(

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 11:35:18 am »
Or thinking laterally there are some places that rent horse trailers, not sure if they would rent for a pig but worth a try - look for local trailer dealers.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:28 pm »
Would the abattoir not mind you arriving with a horse trailer, though, check with them first. Most do mind, some don't.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »
are abattoir does have a trailer that he
lends out to bring animals to him

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
And some have a collecting service. Never hurts to ask. Also, the abbatoir will know who's coming in that morning and whether they may help you out.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »
the abbatoir will know who's coming in that morning and whether they may help you out.

are you allowed to share transport, legally??
Little Blue

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:27:04 pm »
yes you can share       but they have to be separate within the float/trailer     to stop fighting :farmer:

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:26 pm »
Thank you all so very much.. sorry not replied straight away .. my pc went on the blink! Still trying to get transport - can get him in the abbatior next weekbut not got the trailer. Will keep trying and let you know.
Thanks for the ideas and taking the time to feed back.
Amanda

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS