Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Attention seeking Sow  (Read 1789 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Attention seeking Sow
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »
I have a sow that my boar has got in pig however, she will not respect the electric fence so is separated from Bob at bedtime, but she has got this high pitched squeal that makes your ears bleed  :-\ and she will not shut up so Bob ends up electrocuting himself to get out the pen and lay next to her pen to keep her quiet but is then out all night with no shelter. She is still in a pen with other pigs so she is not alone though wants Bob's attention all the time, I am dreading when she is in the pen by herself which is going to happen in the next few weeks.  She is in pig as she will make all the advans es to Bob but when he tries any funny business she just shouts at him, what is a Bob to do.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Attention seeking Sow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »
Sorry but this made me laugh :) typical hormonal female lol knows what she wants then when she gets it it's wrong.  I know very little about pigs and only go from my own exp (which may well be wrong) but if he is happy to babysit her until she is ready to pop, which might give you time to make her a more solid pen, is there any harm?  My last sow was out with the herd and delivered (didn't know she was in pig) and she is no in a seperate pen in the field so she had the boar on one side and the herd on the other.  The piglets all mingle together and get into trouble lol and they all seem to be happy.  She might focus her attention on the babies when they come and not be so clingy.

I dunno mate jst a guess

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:38:27 pm »
Thanks Welshlass, I feel I may just have to try everything and stick with what ever works.  She is due middle Jan/Feb so once the piglets are weaned I will sell her as a breeding sow I think poor Bob can't carry on he is knackered, or if someone was to hire him for a few weeks that would help. ::)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:15 pm »
I'm no expert by any means and i'm always making mistakes :( good luck tho

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »
I have a sow that my boar has got in pig however, she will not respect the electric fence so is separated from Bob at bedtime, but she has got this high pitched squeal that makes your ears bleed  :-\ and she will not shut up so Bob ends up electrocuting himself to get out the pen and lay next to her pen to keep her quiet but is then out all night with no shelter. She is still in a pen with other pigs so she is not alone though wants Bob's attention all the time, I am dreading when she is in the pen by herself which is going to happen in the next few weeks.  She is in pig as she will make all the advans es to Bob but when he tries any funny business she just shouts at him, what is a Bob to do.
Why not put barb wire top and bottom of Bobs pen......He wont be so smart to jump out then.. or put a gate over his pen to stop him jumping out during the night.  The la  tthing you want is to have piglets in the main pen with the other girls and the boar ( Bob)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:55 pm »
I tend to let the boar live with the pregnant sow as he can do no harmto her and she's company for him. I they're happy living together so be it, just remeber to remove her about a week before she's due to have her piglets so she can settle in to her farrowing accommodation.
HTh
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »
we just do the same as mandy and they are happy living together  it is just getting a system that suit both you and your pigs :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS