Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whole piglet for xmas dinner  (Read 4479 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Whole piglet for xmas dinner
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Since i have 10 piglets that are obviously going to be with us over winter i thought i'd try cooking a whole one for xmas day.  Has anybody done this before?  Is there a certain age that is ok to slaughter them?  There is 3 adults and 1 child to feed so i don't need a massive piglet.  They'll be about 20 weeks (ish) old the week before xmas.  These guys have been and will be free range out on the field with hard feed and as much haylage as they can eat.  Is there anything else i could/should do to prepare such a young animal?

princesspiggy

Re: Whole piglet for xmas dinner
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:33 pm »
i dont think its that young, ours are away at 24 weeks this year. i saw a programme on suckling pigs (french, i think) - now thats young!

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »
second princess on this one  your pig could be from 20 kilos to 80 kilos depending on breed and feeding  :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:14:54 pm »
They are 3/4 kk and 1/4 gos so they'll still be small enough to put in the oven ( i hope)

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:46:59 pm »
 ;) i could not fit one of my 20wk old kk's in the oven.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:26 pm »
Nope, mine either  :-\
You'll be surprised how fast they grow and how big they are once they're lying on your work surface  ;)
No suggestions as to how to cook it though, sorry ! The only whole pigs I've seen cooked have been on a spit.
Karen  :wave:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »
i can see someone having to get the barbeque out on xmas day to cook a 20 week old piggy!!!

still probably nicer than turkey!!!

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:33 am »
In Germany, my Origin, a spit roast (or hog roast) is called Spanferkel. That means as much as "milk piglet" or "teat piglet". Traditionally they get roasted and eaten at the age of six weeks with a weight of 12 to 20 kg.
So there You go, its not that uncommon, even the funny Germans do that like that.
Having such little piglets on a spit is rather found in the south of Germany, I am from the north and we would choose a bigger one around 40-60 kg, like what we do here as well.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »
Hi all, if it look like it getting to big you could slaughter it before and in freezer (if freezer large enough) :P, can pigs eat haylage? I know they can't eat hay, mine are not KK they are GOS.  I would try the piglet, have a look on ebay see if you can pick up a spit roaster from somewhere, we had a BBQ new years eve once it was fab. :thumbsup:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »
Mine prefer haylage to hay :) they trampled the hay into the ground where with the haylage they'll lay down and chew it to death (kinda like cows chewing cud) they're still very small and haven't grown much at all.  If they did have a growth spurt i'd take 2 or 3 (promised our local farmer one as he said if we get stuck over winter he'd feed and water them for us) to be killed and dressed then freeze them.  Still got a 4ft chest freezer and a 5ft upright freezer to play with so freezer space isn't an issue.

These ones are 3/4 kk and 1/4 gos and i'm still very new to all this and have no real idea at what rate they should be growing lol they're nice and round and scruffy but i'm putting that fown to winter coats coming in.  We've got a 45gl drum that has been cut in half and if said weaner gets to big i can always cook it in there.

Thank you for your thoughts :) it is very helpful. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »
can pigs eat haylage? I know they can't eat hay, mine are not KK they are GOS. 

Can't speak for other breeds, but my OSB sow loves hay.  She eats a lot of grass, too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:07 pm »
Mine will eat grass and freshley cut grass they go mad for that but I am sure I read or heard somewhere that hay is the only thing that pigs can't digest properly, they are like people though what one person likes another doesn't, I just didn't want to give them something that they shouldn't have. :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »
Mine have a big bale of haylage that they help themselves to and i used to feed on a bed of hay/haylage and they'd gobble it up. 

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:18 pm »
Since i have 10 piglets that are obviously going to be with us over winter i thought i'd try cooking a whole one for xmas day.  Has anybody done this before?  Is there a certain age that is ok to slaughter them?  There is 3 adults and 1 child to feed so i don't need a massive piglet.  They'll be about 20 weeks (ish) old the week before xmas.  These guys have been and will be free range out on the field with hard feed and as much haylage as they can eat.  Is there anything else i could/should do to prepare such a young animal?
We take pigs at 20kg dress weight and cook them in an oven, kthat is around 5 foot long.    It has a gas burner running along the bottom of the oven and to the back.  It has a grill on top of the over, and the containers that are used are also a wire rack.  The pigs is prepared by filling it with whole onions, garlic, salt and pepper, chicken stock, lemon grass, a few bay leaves, and some rose mary twigs.    The flaps are sown together with string and the whole pigs is covered in oil that has special herbs in it....... I dont know what they are though.  The oil is quite fellow. The pig is put in a heated oven, and is turned every 1/2 hour for a total of 5 hours.   The meat is cooked through and the skin  is so crisp......... pity i cannot put the smell of this pig on this site....... this would make your all druell!!!!!  It might be a case of do  one yourself.........

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »
Yummy :) we seperated the weaners today cos they keep escaping grrrr so now they're in piggy alcatraz with lots of tin sheets and electric fencing lol phoning the local slaughter house tomorrow to find out how much it is to kill and dress them and i might get a couple done to keep frozen and have mini hog roasts next spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS