Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Housing for pigs  (Read 6004 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Housing for pigs
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »
In anticipation of getting my two weaners (hopefully from Blinkers- think I have reserved two for the spring - must check with her)

I was wondering about their housing.

I have to sow the seed of inspiration in the OH so in a couple of months it becomes his idea when he gets to build it for them.

Why are their houses always Arc'd?

Is it to keep them warm?

How do you get to clean them out?

What is best to build it from?

:farmer:

You are never to old to learn something new

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Housing for pigs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
Hi
Good to see you're thinking ahead, there are already loads of threeads on housing so if you have a troll theo older pages you'll find them. Further down this page there is "which ark?"
Andy Case's book starting with pigs has some good designs for pig arks, they don't have to be curved this is the best way for galvanized shhet ones my OH makes ours triangular with ply wood see starting with pigs on GOS website for pictures. Remember wood is warmer in winter and cooler in summer than metal which heats up like an oven in summer and is noisy & cold in wet winter.
We use a rake and sweeping brush to clean out, most pigs don't poo/pee in their arks so its mainly mud & straw to chuck out and refresh every week.two or so depending on the weather.
Good luck
HTH
mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:24:00 am by Fowgill Farm »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:34 am »
Arks can be built from many materialsl and to many designs.

The half round is just a cheap way of using galvanised to make a stong enclosure, there is no special benefit for them pig,

Our book shows several types inclusing bale arks, wood, plastic and tin, along with all the other information you'll need to both start keeping pigs and in due course move up to breeding.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:09 am »
Just to add to what Mandy's already said - the houses can be any shape at all. I've seen sheds, large dog kennels, we use an old metal oil tank in addition to our metal arc shaped ones. Lower roofs do help to keep them cosy. So long as the roof has a slight slope to let the rain run off and they've plenty of straw they'll be fine.
Wood has better insulation factors than metal, but has the disadvantage of being chewable  ::)
Remember to add ventiliation holes/hatches so that you get air flow  ;)
Our arks are not attached to the floors so when it comes time for a clean out we flip the top off and sweep out all the old stuff then replace the top and let the pigs arrange their new bedding themselves  ;D
If you search 'pig ark assembly' on the forum search you should see a step by step guide for making the curved ones.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

robd

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »
I built our weaners a strawbail house - steaks driven through the bales and into the ground, tied with rope around the top. I built a triangular wooden frame with currugated iron sheeting to go on top (I also included a layer of celotex insulation as I had some lying around!). Our first weaners are off to slaughter next week and have been very cosy in their house, and much to my surprise, it will only need one bail replacing where they've pulled at it a bit, so should be good for another batch.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:26:24 pm »
In anticipation of getting my two weaners (hopefully from Blinkers- think I have reserved two for the spring - must check with her)

I was wondering about their housing.

I have to sow the seed of inspiration in the OH so in a couple of months it becomes his idea when he gets to build it for them.

Why are their houses always Arc'd?

Is it to keep them warm?

How do you get to clean them out?

What is best to build it from?

:farmer:
I use  corrugated tin and pallets, and a couple of steel posts to hold them together along with some wire to wire the pallets to the steel posts.  I also put one in front of the hut by standing out some 2' 6 " just  kto stop the wind from entering the hut. I also use a board arouond 10 to 12 inches to stop the piglets  from leaving when they are under 10 days of age. But this allows the sow to come and go as she pleases

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:06:35 pm »
I like the look of the 'A' type of ark as we will only have them in the summer months and only intend to keep them for the freezer - so might only need to get weaners every two years.

Though if we by that I mean OH  ;D built a squarer one  it could be used by the sheep in the years we don't have the pigs.

Any idea where I could get dimesions etc for the 'A' type.

thanks all for the input it helps to make decisions  - interesting to know what other have.
You are never to old to learn something new

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:44:39 am »
I like the look of the 'A' type of ark as we will only have them in the summer months and only intend to keep them for the freezer - so might only need to get weaners every two years.

Though if we by that I mean OH  ;D built a squarer one  it could be used by the sheep in the years we don't have the pigs.

Any idea where I could get dimesions etc for the 'A' type.

thanks all for the input it helps to make decisions  - interesting to know what other have.
Just make it 2m high x2m  wide x 2m  high and around 6 - 8 foot long.    Use steel  to make the frame and then cover with corrugated iron.  That is the size we use here in oz.  I make them on my own.  Put aback in it and a door and you have a great hut.  short of that pallets and yes make them square or oblong and cover with tin and a tin roof.  Even the dog can camp in it if the pigs are not suing it.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:57 am »
We make our A style with sheets of 8' x 4' ply (marine if you can afford it). We make the frame from timber and then screw the ply sheets to the frame, you will need 11/2sheets per side and likewise for the floor. We run silicon along the seams to waterproof before screwing on and then OH jigsaws the ends out, one end with two 2" round air holes and the other end with the door hole approx 3ft high by 2ft wide. All joins are siliconed to further waterproof and we also felt the outer A roof (my OH is a builder so we have lots of bits of wood and stufff laid about).
If you e-mail me i will send you a rough plan fowgillfarm@hotmail.co.uk
HTH
Ps forgot to say that one of these arks is now in its 8th year so long lasting.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:42:47 am »
Hiya Dyedinthewool  :wave:

I know someone in Llangynin who almost certainly will have an ark for sale.   He's gradually swapping his "Traditional Pig Ark Co" ones for larger ones that he's building himself.    They are all in excellent condition and I know he was going to pressure wash them out before selling too.    I nearly bought one from him earlier this year but it was a bit bigger than I needed at the time.   PM if you want his number.

I've now got you on my list for a couple of Weaners in the Spring  ;) ;D    Old Spots will be the first to farrow  :pig: :pig: :pig:

:thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 02:10:27 pm »
We make our A style with sheets of 8' x 4' ply (marine if you can afford it). We make the frame from timber and then screw the ply sheets to the frame, you will need 11/2sheets per side and likewise for the floor. We run silicon along the seams to waterproof before screwing on and then OH jigsaws the ends out, one end with two 2" round air holes and the other end with the door hole approx 3ft high by 2ft wide. All joins are siliconed to further waterproof and we also felt the outer A roof (my OH is a builder so we have lots of bits of wood and stufff laid about).
If you e-mail me i will send you a rough plan fowgillfarm@hotmail.co.uk
HTH
Ps forgot to say that one of these arks is now in its 8th year so long lasting.

Hate to say this Mandy, but out of all the huts I've used the A frame(insulated) is the worst and I would never make or buy one.

The 2 reasons are:
1) Too bigger air space, so stay too cold in winter!
2) When a sow lays down there is no where for the piglets to escape so they get over layed!

BUT and there is always a but, i thinkyou build them bigger, which may be your saving grace !!!

PS will check on the commercial size of an A frame out of interest to see! :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
sevaral diy ideas on ebay, type in pig arcs..... its given me an idea i have one of those huge juice drums about 2000 ltr type, will lay on side and cut 1/3 off the bottom to make an arched type arc.............................. or you could buy a cheap rough but dry horse trailer and kill 2 birds etc , ie use it as  a shelter then use it for the transport to slaughter, thats what i me looking for.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:54:28 pm by harry »

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »
One of the local farmers keeps a small horsebox shaped trailer in his goat enclosure which moves as the electric fence advances across the field.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
[

Hate to say this Mandy, but out of all the huts I've used the A frame(insulated) is the worst and I would never make or buy one.

[/quote]

Hate to say this Stevie G but you're dead wrong, one we never keep more than 3 or 4 weaners in these houses. two they have appropiate air holes drilled in the ends to allow air to circulate, they are very snug filled with straw, wind proof, waterproof and as i say one is still going strong after 8yrs and countless weaners thro its doors. Three we never put sows in these houses they're too small Sows have there own appropiate housing which is square with a roof sloped to one side and 4 we never farrow in arks so piglets and sows are never mixed its all about managing what housing you have available and managing your pigs.

When you know my set up feel free to comment meantime butt out!
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS