Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Log burning boilers  (Read 15511 times)

Aardvarker

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Log burning
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:01:46 am »
 :wave: Hello from a Newbie to your site. :wave:

I've come across mentions of a 'cord' of wood.  What is it, please?
Many thanks

Aardvarker
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:22:40 am by Dan »

Surrey Dodger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Sussex
  • Another fine day :)
    • Nell Ball Farm
Re: Log burning boilers
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 12:52:31 pm »
A cord of wood is a measurement given to a pile of timber measuring 4ft wide, 4ft high and 8ft long. It's generally an American term though you can still here it used in the UK occasionally within the timber profession.
www.nellballfarm.com There's always room to improve animal welfare

Aardvarker

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »
Very many thanks for this information - what a 'jolly' measurement  :wave:
Kind regards
:farmer: 's Boy

Aardvarker

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 09:54:24 pm »
We have been looking at various systems ... stand alone wood burning boiler supplying a large accumulation tank (around 1500 litres) ... heat source is predominantly from the tank which stores the heat ... The reseach is still going on ... regarding how it's meant to work and what is required... involved over the last 15+ years in Building and facility management ...  wood fuel has probably been used longer than anything else in our history, the methods and technologies involved in these systems are still quite new, at least in this country, will keep on searching though.
Jim
Hello Jim
Your work sounds MOST interesting, it backs up, and far exceeds some of Research I've done to date
I come from a Chem Eng background [Long time ago] and would be most interested to compare notes and findings - PM if you agree?
Regards
Aa'r

ScottishSmallholdersAssoc

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Scotland
  • Scottish Smallholders Association
    • Scottish Smallholders Association Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
Waste of time and a very expensive installation cost which takes a long long time to re-pay. The Royal Collage of Engineers announced in January 2012 that they were recognising that plumbers are currently not trained or experienced enough for the eco technology ie installation of boiler stoves. We recognised this several years ago and withdrew our boiler stoves from the market. Translated plumbers were a hit and miss for installation and we were finding some plumbers taking £2000 to £3000 to leave with a plumbing system that did not work, not just from our stoves but from all boiler stoves on the market. We feel chances of finding an installer who can actually fit it is minimal as the knowledge has been lost over a generation, young plumbers are not up to the technology and the cost of fitting outweighs the benefit of any hot water produced.

Just go for the largest woodburner you can install without a boiler.
Scottish Smallholders Association

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »
I think 3 steres make a cord?

pash66

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »
Hi we looked into an outside batch log boiler with accumulator tank, but the cost put us off (and I think the Renewable Heat Incentive which would have helped has been withdrawn for review??)  So we've gone for a large (normal indoor) hot water tank and a REALLY cheap bulgarian stove (Prity) with a 'back' boiler (the tank is actually above the fire box, rather than the usual jacket type) and are so pleased with it - it is running our 7 radiators and hot water really well and the hot water is still hot the next day. Might go to outside batch boiler and accumultor tank next time but it will have to be a lot less than £6000!!   (Vs £400 for our stove and £450 for a new water tank).  Its all very 'old tech' and mechanical, but I like that!
Hi, I'm new to the site and have found the only reference to a Prity boiler (yours...), on here. I can see it was a while ago, but could you direct me to any installation info, as we have the boiler just sitting there but don't want to spend a fortune installing it. I do have a good back ground in building and plumbing but the lack of info out there for make of boiler is bad .... (seems to be knowledge is power again). Any help / direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Paul.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:50 am »
Paging [member=23132]FiB[/member] for you
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »
Pash - do you have a Prity model number, or can you post a photo?  My friend has one, and I'm wondering if it's the same as yours?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
Replaced  a Rayburn MF with a Prity MA 18  19kw  water heating boiler    2yrs ago  same basic pipe layout  ,immersion tank in loft     and pump for radiators .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS