Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slug killer  (Read 3284 times)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
slug killer
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:52:58 pm »
Anyone got the name of a decent pelleted slug killer ..not the organic use stuff but the good old fashioned blue pellets that were toxic to animals if they got hold of them .

The organic use granules I had purchased have all been used and are not that effective.  :-\  . You have to make a ridged  ring of the granules around each plant you want to protect & protect it from rain ..here in Wales ???  :D :D :D

Local places appear to have run out of all slug deterrents so I ended up doing a 40 mile round trip  for a day out and to get some,  only to find that the only ones in the big garden centres are the curushed pummice granule type ones .

I've just bunged a 2 kg pack around most of the veg plants  but the flowers are unprotected ..the dahalias & lupin plants in the crowded flower beds have been well and truly munched on the leaves .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: slug killer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »
My mum still swears by her beer-filled sunken cups.  Slugs love beer, drink, get drunk, fall in, drown.  No other animals are harmed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »
I've never had a problem with the organic ones not working and I just scatter them.  I wouldn't touch the chemical sort in any case.  My other weapon is my deadly slug murdering knife which comes out late at night after rain.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:12:38 am »
Anyone got the name of a decent pelleted slug killer ..not the organic use stuff but the good old fashioned blue pellets that were toxic to animals if they got hold of them .

The organic use granules I had purchased have all been used and are not that effective.  :-\  . You have to make a ridged  ring of the granules around each plant you want to protect & protect it from rain ..here in Wales ???  :D :D :D

Local places appear to have run out of all slug deterrents so I ended up doing a 40 mile round trip  for a day out and to get some,  only to find that the only ones in the big garden centres are the curushed pummice granule type ones .

I've just bunged a 2 kg pack around most of the veg plants  but the flowers are unprotected ..the dahalias & lupin plants in the crowded flower beds have been well and truly munched on the leaves .
Home brew beer or commercially prepared beer, put in a dark bottle but only around half fill it, dig a small channel in the garden and lay the bottle in this channel, allowing the slugs and snails access to the opening. they crawl in and drink the beer, get drunk and drown, encouraging  others to do the same, These should  be put all arouond the garden and emptied now and again when full of snails and slugs.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:57 pm »
Whoopeeee .
Was out today at a distant garden centre & found a new metaldyhide ( sp ) based  2KG   ( £5.99 )  pack slug and snail killer by the name of  Ezon used at the rate of 75 grm per 100 mtrs .

I brought 4 kgs and gave the 12 sq mtrs of raised beds an initial treatment .  Ezon is claimed to be at least five times more effective than the old style solid pellets ...we shall see
On reading the in intructions it seems 75 pellets per square metre shouild give the correct dose , there is also a very natty  simple to use sprinkler in the cap that helps you attain this distribution .

For those that have offered  alternative  methods thanks ..
Over the years I've tried all sorts of organic /friendly home made things but nowt has ever come near to the effectiveness  of the blue pellets .

This new stuff  is slightly different in that the granules are  like a hollow sponge contain less concentrate and are supposed to be far more attractive to the slugs and snails becaue of being spongy .

I'll give the beds a hammering for a couple or so years to get levels of infestation down and then may well try the nematode control approach  .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
beer works a treat! we sink plastic bottles in the ground with the tops off about 2 ft apart and the slugs die happy!  ;D
Red

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »
Little blue pellets here - I don't spend all that time slaving over the garden just to feed the blasted slugs. It is the only chemical I use.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »

they are not blue any more they are a lime green colour and most effective, although dont get your dog or your cat with them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS