Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Kune litter :)  (Read 9870 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: First Kune litter :)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
bless him, glad to see he's got the right stuff!
what line is he?
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »
I have no idea lol i got the 4 of them as they were being rehomed.  The lady had bought them for meat, fell in love, got sick and had to rehome :( i told her i could take 1 as a stud and if i took the rest i'd slaughter them.  Got them home and they were brilliant  :pig: so had 3 castrated and kept him entire x

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Congratulations they are so cute
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »
Congratulations they are so cute

Thank you :) they are being sexed today and the boys will be castrated tomorrow hopefully  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »
The tell tale sign was Mattee not coming up for food and the castrate boar picked up a cooking apple and a spud and took it down to her :) hubby jst told me that bit lol bless lil Chopin he took her some food
Some sows dont come in for food for some 2 or 3 days.  they just lay in their hut with their piglets and let them suckle.  They also dont get up for a drink.   

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »
Thank you :) they are being sexed today and the boys will be castrated tomorrow hopefully  :pig:
Are you doing them yourself in the traditional way Michelle ?
Can you let me know how you get on with it please ?
I have no problem castrating (thanks to Lillian's expert instruction  :-*) but I'm still sooooo wary about trying it with the Kunes  :-\ Maybe a good experience for you will ease my worries a bit  ;)
Karen  :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »
We did the last lot we had and they're all fine.  We did a lot of research before we did it PLUS we used local for them.  They went crazy when they were being held and once we put them back in the box after the castration they were silent and a bit dopey.  They didn't appreciate the purple spray lol we spoke to the vet again today about doing these lil ones and she said that we must make sure that we "twist a bit more" and it'll be ok.

We picked up more local today and we've got everything ready :) we didn't get chance to find out how many boys there were today as i picked up 600kg's of meal and we had to handball it into bins and sacks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »
Eeeek, you'll be shattered then !
What do you mean by 'twist' ? Are you twisting & pulling the testicles as opposed to cutting ?
Welfare regs I think, state there's to be no 'tearing of tissues' I've not had to twist anything - always just pull and cut (but maybe the twist is because it's Kunes & to do with the hernia risk  ???) can you explain for me (being a bit slow on the uptake tonight ;)) what you're twisting.
Thanks x

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »
noooooooooo what i mean is once the ball is out we twist them (to close the tubes up apparently) THEN fray them i don't just pull them out...that makes even me cringe.  We don't do a clean cut either on the vets advice they are freyed. 

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »
when the vet dehorns they twist the blood vessel to seal them
the fraying is interesting :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »
it's something to do with it not being a clean cut that helps it heal  ??? it worked well on the last lot and there were no complitcations.  We've got a vet on call for tomorrow (sorted it out today) incase something happens and we need to take them in :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »
Okay, I understand what you mean Michelle  ;)
Good luck with it and I hope all goes without a hitch.
Can you post a wee update and just let me know.
Thanks  :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »
Out of 9 piglets there were 6 boys.  The runt of the litter is a boy again and is a lot smaller than the other ones  :pig: momma is still VERY protective over them and it was a job to get them away from her without being bitten lol she'll come around.

We did them this morning and it all went well.  Injected local into them and left them for about 8 mins in a box to calm them down and let the meds work.

All of the castrations went really well with minimal bleeding and very little stress.  The worst and most stressful part was separating from mum :) We left them in a cat carrier with a warm blanket after they were done so we could keep an eye on them and make sure that they were all ok.  No bleeding, no stress and when we took them back to the pen they all walked out to see mum (who was on guard) quite happily and then munched on fruit, veg and pig meal.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »
Hubby just went over to check them again and they're all out and about scrapping and messing about :) none are bleeding or anything bad and they all seem happy  :pig: they are munching on strawberrys and other fruit and veg we got from a local veg shop this morning. 

So .. so far so good

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »
Hubby went to feed this afternoon and got met with 6 very itchy piglets but all is good.  No infection or bleeding or any signs that there is something wrong.  They're eating and scrapping like normal piglets :) they are sitting butt to butt and having a good old scratch.  They didn't appreciate the purple spray lol but needs must.  At least now if they go as pets they can live a full and happy life

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS