Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Kune litter :)  (Read 9850 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
First Kune litter :)
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »
Went to feed the herd earlier this evening and hubby got a bit worried when our KK Mattee didn't come up for food.  He called her and she called back so he went a-walking.  Found her at the right bottom of the field on the other side of a ditch on a bed of reeds and 9 piglets :)

We moved them as it wasn't safe cos of the ditch up to the pen we used for the last litter.  She is very protective and seems to be doing well and babies are all moving and healthy.  No still borns either :)

This is the nest she made  :pig: you can see the ditch and all it's mud :( had no choice but to move them.

This one is very sweet and totally different to the others :) don't know what sex it is yet tho

Only had a cat carrier to move them in lol not the best of ideas .... crude but effective

Not the best of photos but by the time i got there it was getting dark.  Will get some better photos tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: First Kune litter :)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »
they are gorgeous!
I much prefer black-on-white than white-on-black, my boy Murphy is just like your sow.
Congratulations, wishing the littl'uns the very best
:love: :pig:
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »
The weaners were getting through a hole in the fence and cuddling up to the babies which was sweet but momma didn't appreciate it at all :) blocked up hole and threw out said weaners hehe.  Will get some better shots tomorrow.  Momma seems nice and happy but very protective and the babies seem healthy too.  Will all see when we get over there tomorrow

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »
Beautiful piccies, beautiful piggies.  Thanks so much for posting.  Glad you found them and rescued them before there was an accident!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »
The tell tale sign was Mattee not coming up for food and the castrate boar picked up a cooking apple and a spud and took it down to her :) hubby jst told me that bit lol bless lil Chopin he took her some food

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:03:58 am »
very very cute! makes me so excited, our Kune Kune is due any day!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:17 am »
How lovely! Sweet Chopin :bouquet: I dare say that was a piggy version of a nice cup of tea.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:51 am »
The piglets are gorgeous ! And cracking pictures too.
Good on your little castrate  :love: :pig: I sold my favourite one this year (to a long term home as a grass cutter - no way he was going for pork  ;)) Sir Shorty would have done exactly the same thing - castrated Kunes are just the soppiest pigs ever  ::) But that's why I love 'em  ;D
We're expecting our next litter in the next 3 weeks or so too, getting excited here as well  :thumbsup:
Karen x

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:18 pm »
Momma and piglets are all ok today :) Made a pen for the stud boar and the castrate boar to keep them away from the girlies until next spring  :pig: the weaners are little monsters !!! They go in the pen and steal the food then bugger off before the boars can bite them lol

Not the best of photos as they're taken on my crappy phone.  Please excuse the food on the floor but it was a nightmare to get her into the pen last night and we just ended up putting lots of fruit and veg on the floor to keep her occupied while we messed about.  She has a half 45 gallon drum in there now as a trough.  We've got a big bale of haylage being delivered tomorrow plus another massive bale of straw.  We're going to put all of the straw we have now (about 8-10 small bales worth roughly) in the pen with her to make it easier to walk over the muddy bit.

This one she was laying down with them and the babies were sleeping :) she allowed me to fuss her and sit down outside the ark

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:43 pm »
they are just so so cute, they are like puppies, you just want to pick them up and smell them for that baby smell ( sorry just piglet mad). the dark ones lok quite zebra like..... what colour is the boar??

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:57:52 pm »
Oh they are just gorgeous. :)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:18 pm »
they are just so so cute, they are like puppies, you just want to pick them up and smell them for that baby smell ( sorry just piglet mad). the dark ones lok quite zebra like..... what colour is the boar??

The one having fuss is dad :)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:21 pm »
He only has one ball distended and we were concerned that he might not produce.  We had him checked out by the vets when the other 3 were castrated and she said that he might not be fertile.  This litter is confirmation that he isn't a jaffa and we couldn't be happier

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:44:27 am »
Lovely pictures Welshlass, glad somebodyelses paddocks look like mine ;D
They are gorgeous piglets she's done really well especially having them outside.
Best of luck
Mandy  :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:14:42 am »
The pen that they are in isn't ideal at all but it was filled with straw and lots of haylage yesterday so they're not walking on mud.  I'd much rather keep them all in there where i know it is safe than have to build something else that isn't so muddy.  We've cut all the reeds down and it's being ploughed next spring to turn the reeds over as they're getting out of hand now.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS