Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fodder beet?  (Read 3904 times)

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
Fodder beet?
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:58:06 pm »
Got several acres of fodder beet, we usually graze the sheep on, i wondered if there was any milage in lifting some for the pigs??? is there much feed value in it?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fodder beet?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:06 am »
Hell yeah!  Definitely feed it to something - or sell it.  The price of feed these days...

If you don't want the trouble of lifting it, could you run the pigs on it? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »
with the sheep we'd normally put in an electric fence and strip graze it, its handy for putting on a bit of condition or fattening, but never occoured to put pigs in there. ours aren't electric fence savvy so may have to have a go first with some in a paddock. that said i was goiung to lift the beet and feed the pigs

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:21 pm »
once my pigs have cleared some land i was thinking of planting something to put them onto next year, i thought turnips parsnips etc ie any root veg, not spuds or beet. Any best suggestions, maybe an early then late crop. Root veg only as cabbages wouldnt survive my poultry.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
Harry,
I started sowing stuble turnips and forage rape mixed last year. Grows really quick and the pigs love it. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:21 pm »
Harry, I've heard that Jerusalem artichokes are brilliant for pigs - but I don't know anyone personally that's tried it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:18:40 am »
Put a few in and see how they go.   Then the following year do a few more or a paddock :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS