Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to get pigs  (Read 4211 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: When to get pigs
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
Hi Declan, as long as you have done your research for caring and feeding the pigs properly I would get them when you feel ready, if you do decide winter piglets make sure when picking them they are strong little things and don't be a sucker for the runt of the litter, plenty of straw for them to keep warm, my pigs actually enjoyed breaking the ice on there drinker last winter it soon became a morning ritual for them, though it did seem to be a different pig each morning so they may have been drawing short straws before hand :D. Best of luck with your decision.

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »
I'm reading this with 13 8 week old weaners outside and appreciate noone wants to bring them on over winter :-( I am taking 5 to market in two weeks and goign to bring on the other eight. Four of each, so boys for pork by February/March and the girls for bacon when they look ready, maybe June ish. (What age is good for bacon?)
My question is should I have considered the time of year in the price? I have priced them at £35 each, or 3 for £90. I have sold three females only.
Thought I would take five males to the market. Not sure what sort of price I can expect there as never taken them before - always sold privately. People who have had before don't want this year - partly due to feed costs, partly due to the work involved over winter I suppose.
Need to have a word wit hmy sows and get them to have spring babies next time!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 09:16:57 am »
Sad to say Leri but recently at Gisburn market in Yorkshire pedigree GOS weaners only made £16 each!! so don't hold your breath. Must admit i aim for spring litters and try not to have any in the back end of the year.
Mandy  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »
Leri, I think you have priced your pigs fairly, in the summer time people can charge as much as £50 for wieners I personally won't pay that, to me the point of taking them to market is to get rid of surplus regardless what you get for them so no extra feeding during the winter months.  Supply and demand I suppose :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS