Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Get my first lot of Pork back in the morning!  (Read 6532 times)

Mel

Get my first lot of Pork back in the morning!
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:37:36 pm »
Hi all  :wave:

Gosh,am I excited! I get my first lot of pork back tomorrow! I visited the butcher today and he said he was quite impressed-for me being fresh to keeping pigs myself. He said there is only about half an inch of fat at most! He said this was very good. I saw some of the cuts and my word,I have never ever seen so many sausages in one place! :o

John has made me cumberland,linclon and pork & apple! :yum: I was overwhelmed at the sheer amount there is there,and he said it was only not quite half-he had another side to do today and then I shall be left with two for next week! :D

Pictures to follow,,,You all know how it feels surely,my oh my what a buzz!!! yipeee,hehe!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:   :farmer:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Get my first lot of Pork back in the morning!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:51:45 pm »
Good for you, if you're excited now just wait until you taste it.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »
Leghorn,
That sounds fantastic.  Pigs are going to be my first venture when I get my smallholding so its very interesting to hear what you get from the butchering.  I'm looking forward to the pics and your post when you have your first taste.
Sally  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »
My goodness, we'd better get another freezer!! I have read all about the Kilos live and dead weight etc - but have no real idea what a whole pigs worth of sausages looks like ( I vaguely remember helping my mum and dad butcher half a pig on the kitchen table, but doing sausages sound like it increases the volume substantially)!!  Congratulations, cant wait to see pics.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »
It's making my mouth water... :yum:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
Aw, well done leghorn.  You don't need us to tell you you've done a great job and how exciting it all is - but it's so much fun and so exciting you just want to know you've shared the news!  I know! 

Half an inch of fat is very impressive.  I have a dream of getting my local butcher (who buys our commercial lambs and a neighbour's native breed cattle - but so far is not interested in free range pork...) to eventually buy some of my pork off me - he won't look at anything that isn't close to 12mm 'probe' (which is just under half an inch.)

So please tell : what were they (breed, gender), how old, how kept, how fed?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:43 am »
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

What a lot of pork! lots of pictures,please please do tell me what you think.One boar was fatter than all the others -about a good 3/4 of an inch :-\ but the butcher says I am on to a winner?!

Saddleback cross Berkshire black Boars. Feed...To the book! Sow rolls and tons of vegetables and fruit!! Free range,played football with daily and plenty of fresh water.Culled at 7 months of age each weighing approx 85KG each. ;D

Mel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:46:28 am »
And some more.....

Mel

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:47:20 am »
And more!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:36 am »
Well done Leghorn all looks great. Pork for breakfast, lunch and tea then. ;D Was the 85 kg dead or live weight?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »
 :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
Leghorn,
It looks fabulous.  Can I come to dinner?  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mel

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »
Well done Leghorn all looks great. Pork for breakfast, lunch and tea then. ;D Was the 85 kg dead or live weight?
Hi Berkshire Boy,I measured them in at 85KG live weight.I have no idea of the conversion and is it not supposed to be on the carcass somewhere?

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »
Congratulations...you will never look back.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

May I make the odd suggestion that you now go and buy a pack of pork chops from Tescos (so you can cook them take one bite and throw the rest out....) to do a taste comparison!! When you do taste your home grown side by side  with the supermarket type, the difference is astronomical  :o :o

It is quite shocking!  ;D ;D
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 03:11:47 pm »
Wow how many pigs do those crates of meat represent (re size of new freezer!!!)?  Look so good!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS