Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig plucking  (Read 7403 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
pig plucking
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:45:27 pm »
My mad proffessor boss has asked me for some pig hair;  the long stiff back hair or neck hair for his flies  ( fly fishing)
Do i brave a hole in the wellies and pluck them out of my sow or can i collect them any other way?
Got visions of having to chase her around the pen with a pair of tweezers!!   hubby's gonna love this, bet he gets the camera, things i will do to get a promotion

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: pig plucking
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »
How about a nit comb  ;D ;D ;D

I can just see you now!  ::) ;D ;D

You could tell him to come and choose which hairs he wants ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »
easiest way is go to a slaughter house and collect after them being scrapped of     it would need to be the long ones at the back of the neck
trade them for a new pair of wellies :farmer:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:56:17 pm »
HaHa perhaps i should give him the tweezers and show him where the sow is. Our girl is quite friendly but i'm not sure she will take to a stranger plucking her neck hairs    hmmm could i wax her?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:38:18 pm »
I could get in touch with my ex missus ..........after she waxed he'd never know the difference.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »
would the hair of a kune kune work????

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:24:20 pm »
Just brush her at this time of year they're losing their summer coats and getting their winter ones so use an ordinary hairbrush and you'll get loads
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »
We had a fisherman staying in the holiday cottage earlier in the year that wanted some of the pigs hairs.  I just cut a few off at that time.......hairdressing for pigs  :) :) :) :)

I agree with Mandy though, at the moment you can just brush, or run your hands over their hair and you'll get some.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »
That sounds much easier thanks
And i think a kune kune may be a bit soft? not too sure, they are soft to touch aren't they?
He said he needed bristles to make a shrimp???? ::) he is a professor and they are always a bit strange ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »
IME A PIG PLUCKER, IME A PIG PLUCKERS SON, AND I'LL KEEP PLUCKING PIGS TILL THE PIG PLUCKINGS DONE ;D ;D ;D and  pheasants as well
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:52:28 pm by harry »

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »
Harry you are like a breath of fresh..... hair... ;D i mean air  ;D

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:07:34 pm »
you could wait untill your pig is feeding and just cut the hairs as close to the neck as possible  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:31:59 am »
When you feed her just lean over the fence give a good tug with your hand on her hair and you will probably get a good dozen hairs.  She may not notice that you have taken them. 

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:29 am »
Cheers for all the help going to pluck my pig this evening when she's having a feed, ;D ;D shall let you know how i get on

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:53 pm »
Got the hairs  :D we fed her nuts then cut some long neck hairs with scissors. i gave her a brush as well and she loved that made happy pig grunts at me.
Prof was happy too, said he would let me take a picture when his shrimp is finished :o Don't think i will get a promotion though

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS