Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Want to grow my own pig feed  (Read 38568 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Want to grow my own pig feed
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:51 am »
I dont know anyone either here (France) or in UK who has enough money for their needs.  Those I know whose income increases spend just above that income.  I dont know many who dont have sleepless nights over money.  I am trying to become content with what I have, rather than yearn for what I dont have. 

Which right now would be that I must be grateful for my leaking wellies as its raining rather than wanting a pair of decent ones that dont leak.  I WILL be grateful for Hilary's piglets who chewed the holes in them in the first place.  And I will delight in the mud that sucks them off making the holes even bigger as I pull them out.!!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »
Hi Nikki,

I used to live in Brittany a lifetime ago. Still miss France, it was a great place to live. Lucky You!

A very Jealous Morgan  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
Why did you come home?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
Hi Morgan
You are right it is a great place to live and we are very lucky.  whereabouts are you?

Hilary'smum - what size feet are you we have umpteen wellies here that boys have grown out of you are welcome to a pair I come up to Saint Hilaire du Harcouet and Louvigné du Desert and Dinard reasonably often - anywhere near you?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »
That is such a kind thought, am in Morbihan near Pontivy.  Bit far from Dinard.  AGain thanks.  Its my birthday soon, am putting out large hints. 

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:41 pm »
you are welcome - hope your hints work for your birthday

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:24 pm »
Why did I come home Rosemary...well that a story for a cup of coffee and a chocolate muffin! Lol

I used to live primarily in Dinan and St Brieuc. I've been living in cavan in Ireland since 1999. I was badly injured in a motorcycle accident in work in Dublin, and came up to my then girlfriends to recuperate....and never went back!

How many Kids have you got chickens? We have four bou#ys aged 9, 6, 2 and 11 mths. Great group of wee lads!

Morgan  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 07:08:26 am »
Chickens if the hints dont work then I am going to stand in Gamme Verte right by the boot section and refuse to budge until "he" gets the hint.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 05:32:15 pm »
might see you there then hilary's mum as I need a wheelbarrow  ;D

morgan 4 boys - eldest 21, then 20, then 17 then 11 - i am very outnumbered in my house  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »

I used to live primarily in Dinan and St Brieuc.
I had a penpal in St Brieuc a long time ago, but lost touch so never got to visit him.  However, I have a French Breed of dog so go to France quite often - we will be going to Gujan-Mestras this year - near Bordeaux. Late hubby wanted to move to France but we never got around to it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JL

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
Hi
stumbled on to this website, what a great bit of luck. Just got our new lot of weaners, 3 saddlebacks gilts and am looking for cheaper natural ways to feed them. We are not an organic registered smallholding but I don't use chemicals. I have just ordered some mangel, swede and turnip seeds for feed for the pigs. the comfrey sounds a great idea and will try that also. I tried buying organic pig grower but the cost is crazy on a small scale. We will also feed them last years potatoes that we grew.
About seeds and saving I read it is illegal to save your own GM seed even if you wanted to as monsato and other GM companies have the copy rights to them!!!! And now they are buying up all the veg seed companies.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:13 pm »
Who would want to save GM anything? ;)  Not me that's for sure. ::)  I have a 'thing' about genetics - I don't understand them, and anything I don't understand, I don't like. ;D ;D ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »
I have read and read this thread and it's really interesting.

The thing is - we have decided to have two pigs every other year as two pigs every year is too much meat for us (and we wouldn't want to keep a pig on its own each year).

That gives the pig area time to recover and I thought it might be nice to plant some things (root crops etc) for the pigs to rootle and find.

This year the paddock will be fallow and we would be looking to get two pigs next March/April (2012).

Any suggestions?

Susanna

PS Hilary's Mum - the ham turned out brilliant but I think we need to do boned rolled legs in future to make the slicing easier
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:35:07 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:16 am »
Glad the ham worked out.

Try growing beets (the large ones) apparently they utilise the nitrogen in the soil from the pig poo.  Also carrots and any other root crops, although potato halms are poisonous so would have to be cut down before pigs were allowed in.  I also grew peas and beans which I left unstaked to run along the ground, the pigs loved them.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 10:20:04 am »
Hi

So if I grown betterave fouragère (mangels), kale marrow stemmed, jerusalem artichokes could I cut out the oats (farine d'orge) that is costing me so much as I am seriously thinking I may have to give up with the pigs, but they are so lovely I don't want to, it just the cost  :(

thanks for advice

Sorry for being pedantic. Oats is avoine in French. Farine d'orge is barley flour. :-* :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS