Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boars went today......  (Read 2954 times)

Mel

Boars went today......
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »
Hi  :-\

At the last moment everything worked out fine and I took my four boars in today. :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: However,I was all set for the event,...you know,first time thinking it would be easy.. :thumbsup:  .How very wrong I was :o.  waiting behind several others whom took livestock in,the queue went down really quickly,I watched as they opened up their gates,their loads walked out,some ran,everything looks.."oh,it all seems so quick"no problem :). eventually it was my turn and...

Nothing,my boars decided they were not going anywhere,they laid down in the back of the trailer,I tried as hard as I could to see if one would get up,after ten minutes of a pushing shovin and hot flushin,one got up. started to walk down the ramp......Nope. ??? Not having any of it.dug his front legs in and sat on his bum... At this point I was feeling terrible-"oh,no,they know where they are going" went through my head.another ten minutes and it was done.(need a smiley for "Sigh")

The vet,a helper and myself were all-rather flushed to say the least,I would never have managed without them!

I arrived home and at some stage went down to see the Gilts,now please excuse me but,they were in their hut huddled up,that is never heard of in the afternoon,they came out for their treats and the big girl jumped up into the window and she looked like she had been crying. :'(  awwwblessss.

Please tell me,it was my imagination -Should I be guilt tripping! :-[   I am rather pleased it is all over~well ..almost!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Boars went today......
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:52:26 am »
Well, I'm not very experienced with pigs yet, but my take on it would be:
  •   You would know if the boars knew.  And you wouldn't have got them out the trailer without an illegal assist!
  •   Yes of course the girls know the boys are gone (not where!) and will miss them.  But they'll get over it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »
Please don't feel bad !
You gave yor boys a great life - so much better than the hundreds of thousands who live their entire lives in sheds, on concrete - never knowing what it was like to root in the mud or feel the sun on their backs.
If it wasn't for folks like you choosing to keep rare breeds in a traditional manner many of our rare breeds wouldn't be here today.
Chances are the boys were freaked out from the journey or the smells at the abattoir and that's why they were reluctant to come out of the trailer and the girls would have been huddling up to keep warm since there was less pig heat in the arc.
Your pigs have had a great life, been treated well and will reward you for all your time, effort and care when you collect the pork. It's not nice and no one likes taking an animal to meet it's maker, it gets easier as time goes on - but you'd have to be a robot to feel nothing.
Hope this helps a bit ?
Karen x

Mel

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »
Well, I'm not very experienced with pigs yet, but my take on it would be:
  •   You would know if the boars knew.  And you wouldn't have got them out the trailer without an illegal assist!
  •   Yes of course the girls know the boys are gone (not where!) and will miss them.  But they'll get over it.

Three went into the trailer with no problem,they were fine,my largest,it took half an hour to get him anywhere near-and yes,I do believe he knew something was up.I just found it odd that other people were taking their pigs in,and theirs ventured in easily.I understand that pigs are very intelligent,with this in mind,how do we actually know that-They do not know where the boys have gone,there again,perhaps I have watched too much Babe  ;)

Mel

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:27:53 pm »
Please don't feel bad !
You gave yor boys a great life - so much better than the hundreds of thousands who live their entire lives in sheds, on concrete - never knowing what it was like to root in the mud or feel the sun on their backs.
If it wasn't for folks like you choosing to keep rare breeds in a traditional manner many of our rare breeds wouldn't be here today.
Chances are the boys were freaked out from the journey or the smells at the abattoir and that's why they were reluctant to come out of the trailer and the girls would have been huddling up to keep warm since there was less pig heat in the arc.
Your pigs have had a great life, been treated well and will reward you for all your time, effort and care when you collect the pork. It's not nice and no one likes taking an animal to meet it's maker, it gets easier as time goes on - but you'd have to be a robot to feel nothing.
Hope this helps a bit ?
Karen x

:) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS