Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry sow?  (Read 2401 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Dry sow?
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:06:10 am »
Our Saddleback sow was separated from her 10 piglets at 7 weeks old on 20 July this year.   This had been her first litter and she had become pregnant on her first attempt at AI aged 9 months at the time.    Since early September I have been searching for signs of oestrus so I can work out when her 3 week cycles occur to try and plan when to order semen from Deerpark.    Ideally I would prefer not to inseminate her before mid-November so she has a March 2012 litter.   

But unlike the first time round as a gilt when oestrus was very obvious, despite being a black pig, this time there appears to be no change to her vulva at all and she does not respond to back pressure ever.   She is definitely not fat, although she has regained all the weight she had lost feeding 10 greedy piglets over 7 weeks.   I am now getting worried that she may have become infertile as a result of not impregnating her immediately after weaning.    Does anyone know how quickly infertility sets in a sow is left for several months without mating/AI?    Also, is it possible to stimulate oestrus artifically, say with Boar Mate spray, as we don't have a real boar available (other than our lusty 5 month old Tamworth boy who hardly counts).    On balance, is it a bad or OK idea to have a sow who has a litter once a year, not twice.   For our tiny scale operation, it is much more convenient having March-ish litters only from the perspective of selling weaners or growing on for meat.  Would much appreciate any advice anyone has - Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

Re: Dry sow?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:33 am »
I think it's quite unusual Tamsaddle, especially with a young sow.
She would have come into season 4-8 days post weaning  :-\
Have a read at this http://www.nadis.org.uk/BPEX%20Bulletins/07-06Seasonal%20Infertility.pdf
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:27 am »
As you go into winter the length of time for the season declines and isn't as noticeable, i'd be tempted to see if you can borrow a boar to move in with her around the time you want to put her in pig they're by far the best detetors of season. Our boar has a right good sniff of sows backside and if he wanders off i know she's not there but if he starts sniffing more regularly i know she's on the way to a season and look out for signs he's done the deed, thro the hedgeback look  ;D
You could also try bringing her season on by using PG600 which is a stimulant but you'll need to speak to your vet for that one.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
Usually a  new boar around a sow will arouse her in to cycling.  Short of that stress her out a little that should  bring on the cycle that you have been waiting for.  You might like to check out the PigSite Forum  for some interesting ideas.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »
You could also try bringing her season on by using PG600
With PG600 you give one injection and if she doesn't come into season a few days later then you give another injection 10 days after the first and she should be in season a few days afterwards.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:36 pm »
What about using regimate for 10 days then take her off it and put the boar in with her...... surely she will come on with this.  You give it to her on bread each morning.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:16:45 pm »
Thanks for these replies.  Had never heard of Regumate or PG600 but will investigate them further if nothing happens.    But a real live boar would probably be the best thing - just a question of trying to find one near by, not the easiest thing round here.    Will do some research on that too.   Thanks again - Tamsaddle   

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:49:00 pm »
Thanks for these replies.  Had never heard of Regumate or PG600 but will investigate them further if nothing happens.    But a real live boar would probably be the best thing - just a question of trying to find one near by, not the easiest thing round here.    Will do some research on that too.   Thanks again - Tamsaddle   
Put an add on the pigsite forum you might get a boar there quickly........ short of that buy a baconer and grow him on for future use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS