Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg off food, vet on the way  (Read 13390 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Meg off food, vet on the way
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »
Just in case anyone's on that has any ideas...

Piglets now two weeks old, all going brilliantly, little ones starting to eat a few pellets and a bit of apple.

This morning everything as normal, midday Meg her usual self, had a few apples when we had a visitor to see the little ones.  (Just a few windfall apples - maybe 8.)

Teatime, Meg came out of the ark very slowly - not like her at all.  Not interested in her food, threw up a few times.  Then did have a very few pellets but not very many at all.

Have taken her temperature, I am rubbish with these new-fangled things, it says 100.8 so I probably didn't use it right.  She feels warm but not overwarm, her mucous membranes are a little redder than they should be, I think.

She's fed the piglets - there was a lot of scrapping, which may mean she hasn't got much milk, but they were clearly getting some.  One piglet threw up after feeding.  Like a dog would be, it seemed absolutely fine after it had vomited twice.

There's no sign of mastitis, she's not sore below, she's just not herself.  Sitting with her trying to get a temperature and watching the piglets feed, there was a lot of gurgling in her tum.

She hasn't had anything to eat today that she didn't have yesterday, but I've only been feeding the piglet pellets alongside her sow pellets for a few days.

The vet is on his way - but while I am waiting, does anyone have any ideas?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

Re: Meg off food, vet on the way
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:56 pm »
Sorry Sally, nothing springs to mind (but it's been a long day & I'm not at my best)
Didn't want to read & run.
Hope she's better soon,
Karen x

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:16:27 pm »
something springs to mind - rats pee on the apples???? did you wash them?
Emma T - with everything crossed that she is ok.
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »
Gosh - keep us updated. Sorry I can't offer any useful advice.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:24:57 pm »
Oh no! The only things I can think of are poisoning or severe infection, or possibly intestinal obstruction. Best of luck to you and Meg, and please let us know how she does. Hugs to you both xx

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »
I cant give any advice but i have everything crossed for you all  :hshoe: :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »
Thanks for support, folks.

Vet says resps are normal, temperature is normal (102 is a little low but not worryingly so), guts sound normal, heart sounds normal, udder seems normal, no discharges and behaviour is encouraging.  (He stood his ground a long time and she really drove him out of the ark!)  Piglet vomitting is a little worrying, but he thought they all looked well.  So his advice is if I am still worried in the morning, Pen&Strep - and for any sick piglets too.  But he thinks she's probably just had a bad apple and will come around very quickly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:05 pm »
poor meg, hope she and the little one recover soon,

:)  :pig:
Little Blue

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:01:08 pm »
Hi Sally, hope Meg has a good night and is bright eyed and waggy tailed in the morning. Pleased to hear vet not to worried at the moment.  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:54:29 am »
Well I checked on her before going to bed myself and she asked for food, so she's had a light supper of bananas, boiled potatoes and porridge.  Fingers crossed all is ok tomorrow.  (Make that later today  ::))

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:41:42 am »
how are things this morning........
hope all are feeling better
Mx

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:56 am »
Poor Meg! I hope all is well this morning :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 11:26:53 am »
Thanks for all the good wishes and enquiries, folks.

She had a good appetite this morning and has had her normal breakfast, just a slightly smaller portion.  All looks hunky dory although I'd like her udder to be a bit more malleable.  It's not hot though and she's not sore at all.

The piglets seemed fine but I will be keeping an eye as I am not yet 100% convinced she's milking ok.  Hopefully just a hiccup.

As to what caused it...  First off, I can't find anywhere that tells me it's normal for pigs to vomit, so that still has me a bit concerned.  As far as I am aware she had nothing to eat yesterday she hadn't had the day before.  It is possible that one or two of the (not very large number of, maybe 8 to 10) apples were unripe, picked not windfalls - could that cause a problem?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
Sally
sorry to read Meg and the piglets have been unwell, keep on with the antibiotic that the vet gave you won't do any harm, could be the unripe apples especially if they were cookers, is there any eveidence of rats around her ark, as somebody already mentioned rats pee is highly horrid causes lepcipriosis(sp?) which can be nasty. We've started to push bags of rat poison well under into the middle of the arks base to get rid of the little buggers as they're attracted by aby spilt food which is an occupational habit with pigs around.. Pigs generally only vomit if they've eaten something that doesn't agree with them so fingers crossed it was the apples.
Take care kiss to meg & babies
Mandy  :pig:

DeeDee

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 08:06:16 pm »
Hi Sally

Hope Meg and her piglets are faring better now. Sorry I have nothing to add to help as we're still new to pig keeping and breeding too, so just wanted to pass on our good wishes.

We're expecting litter no. 4 very soon now,  and have been very lucky that the first three farrowing/ growing/ weaning experiences we have had with our pigs have been emotional (on my part at least!) but pretty uneventful. I absolutely understand your concern for Meg and her babies and hope they pull through and thrive.

Dee x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS