Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: costing weaners pigs and measuring returns  (Read 9628 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
costing weaners pigs and measuring returns
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »

Just out of interest, I have costed out exactly how much it has cost me to raise two berkshire weaners, and what value of meat I have in return. The prices of the meat  were the price the butcher put on them, and would be the retail price for his rare breed pork.

I hope this may help someone else take the plunge !! 

Pork and Bacon costings
COSTS
Private kill ; 2@26                               £52
Cut and Pack  74 +75kg carcass        £156.45
Mince all Brock                                   £ nil  charge
Waste charge                                      £ 4.00
Bacon curing       14kg                       £14.00
Purchase weaners                              £100
Feed                                                   £145                                        Total £472.45

RETURNS
Pork                                                    £510.00
Bacon and gammon    14kg                £113.50     
Sausages         20kg                           £152.00                                   Total £ 775.50

We have just had a supper of gammon steaks, eggs and chips, all home grown.... with home made tomato ketchup.  Totally delicious!!  ;D ;D ;D  BIG feelgood factor. 
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Re: costing weaners pigs and measuring returns
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
Thanks for posting, the cut and pack price, did the butcher pre-pack and price for you?

We did our first two pigs this summer, I took prices from the Tesco website to get an idea, but think I did them too cheap really. Next time I shall up the prices slightly as everbody wants to 'know first' next time I have pork ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:28:28 pm by white-blazes »

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:01 pm »
That's really interesting info Emma  ;) Thank you for posting it.
Can I ask - were 74 and 75Kg the deadweights ? and what age were your weaners when they went ?
Thanks,
Karen  :wave:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:46 am »
Whiteblazes - yes the butcher did everything except make the sausages. I did that myself because its fun and i love the idea of making up my own recipes....and OH bought me a magnificent mincer sausage maker last year! The butcher just minced the Brock for me, it took him litterally a few minutes to do what would take me a long time even with my mincer.

Happy hiipy - yes that was the deadweight of the pigs. They were just six months old.

Oh, I should add that the butcher was well please with the fat/meat ratio. The was generally just over 1cm of fat.....i put that down to the good breeding....plug for Lunanlife !!!

Emma T

Chris Burr

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »
Having ended up with small/lean pigs after 6 mths, I am interested in understanding your feeding.  You say the two cost you £145.  How much were you feeding and what were you feeding please.

With escalating feed prices I am worrying about viability at the moment.  Paying £350 per tonne for Marriages good quality cube feed.

Thanks

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:06:24 pm »
hi Cris,

I was feeding Maxibreed Sow rolls 25kg bags @8.67/bag...there was one bag of BOCM at the beginning, but the feedmerchants changed suppliers thereafter.  I was feeding at the normal escalating rate according to their age.

the piglets were collected on 20th April at 8 weeks old and went to slaughter on 22nd august at 6mths old.

I take it the  weight of carcass the butcher received is what folk call the 'deadweight'.  The butcher said the carcasses were 74 and 75kg. 

HTH
Emma T

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:52:18 pm »
i think thats quite impressive £50/pig/month profit. well done.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:02:03 pm »
the figures look impressive   but  am i right in thinking you did not sell the pork these prices are what your butcher would sell for :farmer:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »
Would I be right in assuming that the price quoted for the pork is a retail price and somewhat hypothetical unless of course it's the actual prices achieved when you actually sold the pork? Selling all the cuts of a pig at the full retail price, with no wastage or discounting for declining quality would be quite an achievment in itself. Then of course there are all the retail overheads which must be taken into account.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »
Those are good weights for 6 months old. Our first two went at 6 months and were 50kg each.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:47:06 am »
I'm understanding pikilily to be costing rearing two weaners for her own freezer.  It seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable comparison to value the meat at retail prices if it is all going in your own freezer and you would otherwise have bought all that meat from the butcher at those prices.

In pikilily's case, she's got a freezer full of top pork & sausages, had all the fun of rearing her weaners and has saved money over buying the same meat from her butcher.  Result!   :thumbsup:

(Ok, if you want to be pedantic she could have filled her freezer with top pork & sausages by buying home-reared meat from people on here and spent less than she would at her butcher's - but if she's enjoying rearing her own why rain on her parade?) 

The basis for costings and returns equations would be quite different for breeder / rearers where weaners and / or butchered pigs are being produced and sold on, of course.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RobbyM

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:35:02 am »
Yes one could ask questions about accuracy of input cost, bedding, transportation etc. but I don't think Pikiliy went into this for a return on investment, she said it all.......Big feelgood factor = Priceless
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:55:30 am by RobbyM »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:44:46 am »
I don't cost out my meat production, the fact that we eat free-range, organically(as far as possible) pork, lamb and poultry from creatures that have had a good and happy life is enough for me. I hope that what we sell to friends and neighbours helps towards the cost of rearing etc. and I know we would pay a whole lot more if we bought meat of the same standard.
(Sorry, does that sound smug  :-[ but I think if I started costing, I may despair and become a vegan :o :o)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:16:48 am »
Yes it is all for my freezer. Not for sale to anyone. The prices are exactly what the butcher would be charging for this quality of meat from his own shop. Also, with the retail price printed on the labels the family have an additional idea of the value of what they are helping themselves to!

The £££ exercise was purely out of curiosity.... and to, perhaps, encourage other folk to have a go at having weaners...is that a problem?? The travel costs are two round trips of 50 miles, the straw was free, the water was free.

Last year I did it all the same but had no idea about whether the costs/returns were well balanced.... this year I know!! It is good to know that we are not paying crazily over the odds....I, for one, dont have so much money i can spend it willy-nilly on things without being careful. If the balance was the other way ie. it cost me £775 to get meat worth £472 i would not be able to do it!! 

Sally your assessment is spot on!!  ;D  Yeh, I do feel a bit wet!
Emma T

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 03:06:04 pm »
Having ended up with small/lean pigs after 6 mths, I am interested in understanding your feeding.  You say the two cost you £145.  How much were you feeding and what were you feeding please.

With escalating feed prices I am worrying about viability at the moment.  Paying £350 per tonne for Marriages good quality cube feed.

Thanks
Is there no where you can buy seconds grain, minerals, tallow fish meal, soya meal, canola meal  do you have access to a nutritionist?.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS