Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: corparal punishment  (Read 1610 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
corparal punishment
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:30:16 pm »
do pigs benifit from hanging for 2 -3 weeks as in beef etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: corparal punishment
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:35:05 pm »
Definitely.  10 days min.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:14:43 pm »
well the guy from qms at last fridays meeting said no :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »
I would say they need to be hung, but a couple of days in a chill usually does fine. Most we've ever let them hang for is 5 days. The butchery demonstrator at a recent course I went on said the same, no real benefit in letting them hang longer and more of a bacteria worry too. But everyone has their own way of doing it  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:35:23 pm »
Have seen both opinions.

Pigs definately benefit from being hung for a couple of days, helps the meat set-up, and makes easier to cut.

They certainly don't get any worse for being hung longer, so don't panic if your butcher can't cut it for a week or two (as long as it's in his chill room).

Some people like Sally do swear that it improves the flavour.

It would be an interesting experiment to butcher one side after 2 days and then freeze it, hang the other side for two weeks then butcher and freeze it (so both are equal).  Then unfreeze and blind taste.  Maybe one day when she lets me retire I may try it !!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

RobbyM

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:01 am »
Harry maybe you will find this interesting, I was always under the impression pork doesn't benefit from hanging unlike lamb and beef

http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/6/production-management/2364/ageing-and-the-impact-on-meat-quality

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS