Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Redditch  (Read 5299 times)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Hi from Redditch
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:03:11 am »
Hello Im John and live in Redditch.  For years wanted to keep sheep and now have some land available to me. Approx 3 acres. Lots for me to do before buy any sheep fencing/shelter etc. Have a couple of books inc Tim Tyne's as recommended on here and  Visited livestock auctions.  I have loads of questions that have probably been asked before - (advanced appologies)  but thats a newbie for you. Looking forward to it all.
JU.
Sheep

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Hi from Redditch
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:50 am »
Hi John - I'm near Evesham  :wave:  often pop into Redditch (mainly The Alex when my mum has a fall  ::)  )
This is a brilliant site for asking loads of questions, I've been asking millions of them for over 2 years now lol.
we keep goats (milk for soap) chickens (sell eggs at farm gate etc) and have a handful of mad lambs that keep the grass down so we can access the orchard where we grow plums for plum wine!
make sure your fencing is secure and learn about what to look for with some of the more common probs (eg. flystrike) and hoof trimming...the rest will come with experience! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:31 am »
Hi john, and welcome to the forums.  :wave:

Ask any and all questions, that's what the forums are about. If they've been answered before they will either be answered again or you'll be pointed at a previous answer - we don't mind.  :)

Good luck with your sheep - have you got a breed in mind yet?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:09 am »
hi John and welcome I'm from the highlands off Scotland and keep 200 rare breed sheep and 53 breeds off poultry geese and ducks .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:02:42 pm »
Hi John
I've already scribed on one of your other posts so this is just a Hi from me in north Cumbria  :wave:

If I were near Redditch you would be welcome to come and see our sheep - but it's a bit of a trek for you up here...  Hopefully someone nearer to you will help.  Alternatively, have you thought about WWOOFing?  It's a good way to get some hands-on experience before jumping in to do something yourself.

Anyways, however you go about it, you'll have a lot of fun and get a lot of help and support on these pages.

Cheers
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
Hi John - and welcome  :wave:  I am not too far from you over on the Herefordshire/Worcestershire borders.  I have a few sheep - a new variety to me Wiltshire Horn.  They are big girls and seem enormous compared to the Black Welsh Mountain flock I kept for 20 years or so.  I am hoping the easy care no shear characteristics will be a good point.  Already I have felt more confident about fly strike problems.

I also have my lovely Cuckoo Marans, and this year some Cream Legbars, plus Miniature Crested Ducks, Giant Rouen, Geese etc etc,  you get the picture.  I expect you will be running along similar lines before long  ;D

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:03:12 pm »
 :wave: Hi John from not so sunny Shropshire.  We're in Telford so not far from you.  As you may have guessed, I keep goats and have had hens and ducks in the past.

Enjoy being part of the TAS family.   :goat:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »
Hi from Darzet! :wave:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:42:41 am »
http://www.wwoof.org.uk

World-wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (used to be Willing Workers on ... or Working Weekends on...)  You help out on an organic farm or holding in exchange for bed and board.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »
Hi, John
We're not far from you either - not far from Evesham. We've got Wiltshire Horn too - they're lovely sheep - calm and excellent mothers.The lower risk from fly-strike because of the lack of fleece is also a really good thing, as well as not having to find a shearer, of course!
Good luck with your plans.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19:31 am »
I can verify how gorgeous Katie's sheep are too - there's a pair of her babies currently shouting "Maaaaam" at me from the gate, they are ever so tame and lovely (and loud...!) got your message Ju1971 - like I said in the pm to you, I'm no expert but you are very welcome to see the set up we have and I can tell you all the pitfalls we have encountered in the past 2 years of having sheep live here (and the good bits too) will check calender and message you back with some dates  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

robinjay

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
hi John

if you ever need a hand on the land let me know I love being out doors & happy to help for free.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS