Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vet out to my Saddleback  (Read 6088 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Vet out to my Saddleback
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
HI Guys, went into my finishing shed this morning and found that one of my SB boys had some of his intestine coming out of his bottom, rang the vets immediately they were there within minutes tried to put it back in and gave him some shots of something we discussed the inevitable and ideally he should be slaughtered now really even though he is not finished though wormed them all last week so now have a 21 day restriction I have a horrible feeling I am going to loose him and as we all know we love our little piggies, the vet as advised to help him as much as I can and oil in his food.  Am very concerned for him  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Vet out to my Saddleback
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »
Fingers crossed for you and piggy, Barrett
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:45:32 pm »
Hi Barrett

Oh dear .... we seem to have the same problem - one of our 17 week Berkshire boys has what looks to be some intestine poking out.  He is fit - eating and generally fine. 

Called vet and have too oiled his food.  My fingers are crossed too for you.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »
Hi Barrett

Apart from the shots he gave your saddleback - did the Vet give any likely causes for this to happen?

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:31:21 pm »
these boys are they still intact have you seen them mounting each other :farmer:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »
Hi Robert

My boys are intact and haven't noticed them mounting yet.  I am going to ask the obvious - what about Haemorroides in pigs?

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:26 pm »
The Vet told me it was because he was straining when trying to pass a poo, I haven't seen them trying to mount each other but you can't watch them all the time, I have feed him tonight and touch wood it seems to have gone back in hope it stays in tonight, the vet did tell me once his 21days movement restriction is up due to me worming them last week even though he not up to weight to have him slaughtered and use him for my own consumption, to keep him to finishing weight would be a worry and a waste of food really as I would be constantly waiting for it to happen again.  I fear that once it has happened the vet said there is a good chance it will continue to happen.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
Hi Barrett

Just come in from my pigs and it too has seemed to of retracted slightly too. Haven't seen him poo though. 
Will watch him very closely now.

all the best Barrett  :wave:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:58 am »
HI all, my SB had a good night last night and all seems to be well this morning, how are your piggies this morning Nelson?.  All is well again though not looking forward to vet invoice :-\

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
What you going to do Barrett, cut your losses  and slaughter under weight or see what happens?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
Our boy is well but it is still out a bit - so hopefully we can get him to slaughter weight.

Our 2 week piglet we think might have a more of a problem as it seems she is still is unable to pass anything on her own. The will is there but nothing happens without some aid from us - so will be taking her to the vet.  Perhaps something has not quite developed there. Glad your chap is okay though. I have never seen this before in the pigs - and was saying this to my husband - then I saw your post. Always learning.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »
Berkshire Boy, I think I may cut my losses and have him slaughtered once his 21 day restriction is over should I try and go further with him and get him near to weight then he dies or it happens again that is a lot of time and money wasted, it's a shame but sometimes with livestock you do have let your head rule and not your heart :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:12:38 pm »
Our boy is well but it is still out a bit - so hopefully we can get him to slaughter weight.

Our 2 week piglet we think might have a more of a problem as it seems she is still is unable to pass anything on her own. The will is there but nothing happens without some aid from us - so will be taking her to the vet.  Perhaps something has not quite developed there. Glad your chap is okay though. I have never seen this before in the pigs - and was saying this to my husband - then I saw your post. Always learning.
If you're finding it happening a lot with pigs you're breeding it could be a genetic fault either in the boar or the sow (or the combination). It might just be 'one of those things' but it's worth keeping an eye on.
Fingers crossed all pigs bottoms are back where they should be and stay there  ;)
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:21:07 pm »
Hi Barrett
Yes agree that its best to cut your losses, he'll still taste good just smaller joints. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS