Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many apples  (Read 15107 times)

robert waddell

Re: How many apples
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »
sorry Karen you are interpreting it wrong       the defra publication that oaklands quoted includes PROCEDURES IN PLACE TO ENSURE COMPLETE SEPARATION FROM PROHIBITED MATERIALS
no mention of any type of premises     and page 10  is the start of the section on this
no glasses needed on my part       no drink consumed either    petrol vapour and the bouquet of soil/peat on hot exhaust and very little sleep :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:38 pm »
Hi guys,
           A local farmer has offered me 2 tons of apples from his orchard. I dont have that many pigs at the moment. 4 sows 1 boar and 20 weaners. What i am wondering is would it be safe to replace most of the pigs diet with apples and also how long should these apples keep.

Regards Patrick
Well I would take the 2 ton of apples, slice them and dry them and feed them  out at your leisure to your pigs, mixed  with their pellets and or grain.   I know grain and feed is expensive and it seems such a wast  to just compost them or make them in to cider to feed back to he pigs to have them running around in a drunken state.  I calit cheap feed.
Blonde i think youve just had a blonde moment, give pigs cider instead of drinking it yourself, dont think so????????????

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
good one harry :D :D :farmer: :D :D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »
KITCHENS, BAKERIES, SUPERMARKETS, PUBS, CATERING ESTABLISHMENTS, FOOD WASTE, what the hell has this got to do with 2 tons of apples  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
evolution harry   the apples evolved into this debate        if it is an interesting subject it catches the eye       if it is not interesting    it is read and not replied to :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »
good one harry :D :D :farmer: :D :D
Gets around the HACCP plan anyway  If you feed apples dry that have been dried in the sun ;outside, they never have needed to be in the kitchen in the first place.  We aren't allowed to feed out of the scrap bucket either, but to dry apples in the sun is fine, as long as they have not hit the kitchen bench or the bread board or any where else in kthe kitchen.  There are hefty fines if meat or bone is found in the stomach of kany animal slaughtered.  Dont have to make cider inside, make it in the bucket outside your back door then feed to your pigs.  when you go to the piggery pick the bucket up on the way through, and put the contents in their trough..... they will be squealling for the stuff!!!!   

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am »
no mention of any type of premises     
Page 10 "It is illegal to feed any pig any catering waste (including used cooking oil) from restaurants, kitchens (both household and central), and other catering facilities even if those establishments cater solely for vegetarians."

PROCEDURES IN PLACE TO ENSURE COMPLETE SEPARATION FROM PROHIBITED MATERIALS 

and the sentance carries on "and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority."

You cannot just select the part of the sentance that you like.

Bottom line is IF it has been agreed wioth the local authority, then fine, if not then not fine.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:47 am »
how do you dry apples in the sun ....... or make cider in a bucket...cos there a millions of apples about now...... if you lay them in the sun dont they just rot

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 09:49:06 am »
how do you dry apples in the sun ....... or make cider in a bucket...cos there a millions of apples about now...... if you lay them in the sun dont they just rot

Harry, Blonde's in Australia and has a very different climate to us!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »
All fruit ferments, regardless.  I owuld apples in a bucket with some water let them ferment and give it to my pigs...I would have several buckets going so I could put it out daily. 

the other thing is to just put 2 ton of apples in the pen and see how quickly the pigs get through them..... they will ferment in their pen...... dont worry about that.....

deepinthewoods

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 01:15:05 pm »
well i knew aussies could take their drink, but surely keeping pissed pigs taking it a bit too far?

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
well i knew aussies could take their drink, but surely keeping pissed pigs taking it a bit too far?
Well why not it is cheap feed...pissed pigs it is ever so funny... They also need some of the normal diet, as well, but use the fermented apples as a daily treat....

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:58 pm »
Well why not it is cheap feed...pissed pigs it is ever so funny... They also need some of the normal diet, as well, but use the fermented apples as a daily treat....

Pissed up pigs may be funny to some humans but not, I think, very funny for the poor old pigs! I've known people who think it very amusing to get their dog drunk, no fun for the animal who doesn't know what it's doing :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS