Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear notching OSBs  (Read 5587 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Ear notching OSBs
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:29:32 am »
A newbie asks:

Can anyone help. What system is used to ear notch Oxford Sandy and Black pigs? I have the Carol Harris pig book which shows one notching scheme for Saddlebacks and another scheme for Berkshires, Durocs, Hampshires and Large Blacks. But no mention of OSBs. And the OSB society web site has nothing on ear notching.

What shape should the notch be? The Fearing catalogue shows four shapes of pig notchers, V, U, Square and Pointed.

Regards,
Dave

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ear notching OSBs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:10 am »
I don't think we notch OSBs, do we?  Meg's not registered so wouldn't be anyway.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:07:51 am »
The best thing to do is to ring the lead name on the OSB society website, there will be a contact number and ask them, its best to get it from the breed direct as if you get it wrong by taking info off a forum....................??!!!.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
According to the BPA website OSB's are notched in the same way as Berkshires. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:08 pm »
Yes they are notched as per all other breeds that are notched - it is only saddlebacks that are notched differently

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »
Hi Dave, I had to check when I had to notch my osb piglets, we use the none saddleback 193 system with a v shaped notch. I'd have some purple spray (antibacterial) to hand, they are best notched at >7 days old no blood at this age and no more than 1/8th of an inch, older pigs will need deeper notches- I've heard of pigs done too late, and too small a notch and you can't even see the notches when healed! Good luck i assume your planning to breed with her/them, I have 21 survivors from 2 maiden gilts both had 14 but 5 were still born and 2 squashed!  Keep us informed
Rob @ Loecroft herd.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:47 am »
Thanks to all who replied. I originally checked the BPA site for information but got to a page containing notching schemes that didn't mention OSBs. I have now found the page that includes OSBs.

Farming_newblood - I posted the query in anticipation of doing some breeding next spring and getting equipment sorted beforehand. Did you use a V shaped notch from personal preference or is that the required shape for OSBs?

Regards,
Dave - who sent my first ever pigs,two OSBs, to slaughter last Thursday. Am collecting the pork tomorrow and the bacon from the other will  ready in a fortnight. Tummy rumbling at the thought of it.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
We sue V shape pliers on our saddlebacks, the shape isn't specified in the regs, but most pig keepers I know use V.

Farming_newbloods method is good practice, get them young, and have spray at hand (and as you do it on hand - so where plastic gloves!).
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
hi to be honnest the v shaped was the one that was first on the shelf thinking about it it will probably offer less resistance than others so its probably your best bet. the BPAs information is very vague, and ear noting/ tattooing are not the best id forms- im going on double tags i think i will be writing to the bpa with my next birth notifications for advice on this, you cant view tattoos well on OSBs and even the friendlist most sociable pigs have been known to take a tip off an ear rendering the notch system pointless without a full ear for reference!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 05:26:39 pm »
BPA strongly favour notching, and if you double tag, then you must get their permission first, and if they lose a tag, then it gets complicated.

Once you have chosen a system, then I think you're stuck with it, so you may want to query now, rather than notch this lot and then want to tag the next or visa versa.

Tags on a small pig can look very silly !

Your choice obviosuly, and if you're selling weaners as pedigree then buyers may want notched pigs if they plan to show - or they may be happy with double tags - and non pedigree buyers may be unhappy with notched pigs - you pays your money...

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:55:33 pm »
BPA strongly favour notching, and if you double tag, then you must get their permission first, and if they lose a tag, then it gets complicated.

Once you have chosen a system, then I think you're stuck with it, so you may want to query now, rather than notch this lot and then want to tag the next or visa versa.

Tags on a small pig can look very silly !

Your choice obviosuly, and if you're selling weaners as pedigree then buyers may want notched pigs if they plan to show - or they may be happy with double tags - and non pedigree buyers may be unhappy with notched pigs - you pays your money...
Tgs come in different colours, different shapes and different sizes, you can also use the notching system on your tagging system.    The ear may get chewed off and yes you may lose your tag, but if one sow does not have a notched tag in her ear, then either by her ear or by the loss of ag you may be able to work out her number.  You can have  the piglet number, the sow number and the tag that gives her, her number into the herd.  This number can be given to the subsequent piglets/offspring.......Notching the tags beats writing on them as they get dirty and you cannot see the number on them at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS