Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BACK FAT  (Read 1841 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
BACK FAT
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:26:37 pm »
How and when should i be measuring back fat on kunes..i guess i nip their skin and measure it somehow, what measurement am i aiming for........ they are 4 months old now and can only just feel their spine, can feel ribs ok....... 

HappyHippy

Re: BACK FAT
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:09 pm »
Harry, the only way to get an accurate back fat measurement (as far as I'm aware :-\) is from the abbatoir once the carcass is on the hook.
If you're just feeling the backbone and can feel the ribs they're not over fat - it's when you can't feel the ribs you need to start worrying  ;) ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:32 am »
ok thanks..... i thought it was an ongoing thing i had to keep my eye on while they were growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:08:15 am »
Unless you're producing for the commercial sector Harry - don't worry overly about it.
Fat = Flavour  :thumbsup:
But too much isn't good for the pig or your pocket (either in terms of overfeeding or paying butchery charges based on weight)
HTH
Karen

Edit: Oh, it turns out you can measure backfat on a living animal (my mistake) you need an electronic ultrasound device type thingy (and training in how to use it ;)) But for someone producing for themselves it's probably not financially viable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:11:37 am by HappyHippy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS