Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More freebies  (Read 2156 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
More freebies
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »
Was strolling through the long grass at the empty farmhouse we own, and suddenly remembered the overhanging pear tree from next doors garden.  Went for a look, and there underneath were windfalls on our side of the wall.  Tasted one, a small yellow pear, and it was ripe.  Stuffed my pockets full, for the two girls to enjoy tonight :)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: More freebies
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »
Can't beat free fruit Roxy ;) I had a result today, went to the builders merchants and at the bottom of their yard are 6 old apple trees, a pear and a damson. I asked if it would be ok to have a few windfalls and he said take what you want so I did. Nice big 25kg bag in the back of the van so its now full of apples and pears. Unfortunately I will need to go back on Monday for more timber so loads more free fruit, Result. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
@ Roxy...
very lucky pigs!
I've got a deal going with folk at work - windfalls taken off their hands & if they want to see the piglets, they have to bring fruit or veg!

Did you get your parcel???
:wave:
Little Blue

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:36 am »
why not feed your pigs just grain.....some fruit is fine, but that does not put on their weight. Pigs also need minerals to help maintain a healthy lifestyle.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
grain    barley will put fat on it has to be mixed with soya to give a balanced diet also in Britain you need a mixing licence to make your own feed in this way :farmer:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:24:27 am »
Kune kunes love fruit and veg, and cannot get enough of it. I can see the delight in their eyes when they get apples and bananas.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:20:42 pm »

Deffo on the fruit andf veg. Ours definitely perk up when they realise apples or bananas are on the menu.

Our local hotel/bar let us collect apples for them recently and they loved them.

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:36 pm »
We have a waste carriers licence and take the bread and cakes from bakeries- none make sausage rolls or pies- we checked with defra and they ok'd it, waste carriers licence £250 per anum from council we get 3-6 bags of day old bread each day to supplement feeds well worth it!

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:13 pm »
I'm having bags of windfalls from various neighbours and relatives at the moment, it's brilliant, tasty pigs for xmas ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS