Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Constipated piglet?  (Read 11028 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Constipated piglet?
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:52:49 pm »
One of Ruby's piglets is constipated or having difficulty passing poo - have to be a bit explicit here - but I noticed  that the her anus was protruding  and she was trying to pass something. Hard poo came out followed by a little softer poo and a smidging of blood which a human might associate with constipation. Other than that she is feeding, running about and generally being a naughty piglet. I will take her to the vet if this continues. Just hope that it is not something not quite developed ???
They are now 13 days old and they are all drinking fresh water.
I haven't noticed this in piglets before - has anyone else? Is there something that we can give her to oil the works?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Constipated piglet?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »
Try a 10 ml squirt of liquid parrafin

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:26 pm »
we had a constipated piglet. liquid parafin very hard to get hold of.
we gave lactulose and exlax and worked a treat. also check getting enough fluid......
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
liquid parafin very hard to get hold of.

We get ours from our vet but I am sure a chemist can supply it too
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:05:22 pm »
Thanks - will visit the pharmacy/vet tomorrow - and in my best french will try to ask for a laxitive  ;D

Sally saw your tea time piglets on Facebook - they are lovely  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »
Sally saw your tea time piglets on Facebook - they are lovely  :love:

Oh thanks!  I actually meant to upload a different video but everyone seems to like this one so I've left it up!

For anyone else who wants to see them :

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/video/video.php?v=247815791930929

They are, without doubt, the very cutest piglets that have ever lived.   ;D :pig: :love:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:22 am »
Chances are your piglets are now starting to take mum's harder food so their poo's will stiffen up, be careful laxative wise as in a few days time mum will come into season and theres a good chance your piglets will scour then as her milk changes. If you give her a laxative this will make her doubly scoury and may seriously dehydrate her. For the time being i personally wouldn't do anything, unless she is undue pain, keep an eye on her as much as you can and see how it goes, we all get a little bunged up at times!!
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:19:07 am »
some tallow in their feed will help  but water  is also a good idea, a small  trough in their pen away from the sow is also a good idea.  Small nipple drinkers for piglets can be added to the pen as well, but down low  for them to reach.   

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »
no tallow if animal derived :farmer:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »
Just out of interest this piglet is still getting "backed up" and we are helping her out. She is very accommodating. We have been given by the vet a oral liquid parafin mixture with added malt for taste. She is not scouring but at the same time she is not passing naturally. She is lively and in good condition but I am just wondering if this is a mechanical thing or memory thing. The litter are now starting to take an interest in Mums food so we will see how she is doing over the next few days.

Ever felt that you are constantly looking at the pigs rear end for one thing or another.

By the way the we are in France and the vet is good but our conversation is limited to google translate at the moment.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »

Ever felt that you are constantly looking at the pigs rear end for one thing or another.

well when our weaner was constipated, she had trouble peeing!!!! her rear end was getting red so while we waited for the exlax and lactulose to work...... i was washing her bottom and legs and applying sudocrem.......
got some funny looks from the passers by!!! :D :D :D
Mx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS