Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age do you wean your piglets please?  (Read 17821 times)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: What age do you wean your piglets please?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:09 am »
Good question...... butchers of long ago probably....... but you have to grow to that limitation and no further otherwise they penalize you and you miss out on your profit.......

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »
Yes, I think the traditional 85Kg liveweight being pork and 110Kg plus being bacon must be an older guide.
As far as I can see at the abattoir the majority of commercial porkers are away smaller than this.
I'm sure I read that Berkshires make the best pork around 55Kg liveweight (might have been 'Practical Pigs')
I'll maybe give my pal up in the commercial piggery a phone and ask him weight/ages that they send to slaughter. Surely it'll depend on what the 'consumers' ie. supermarkets & wholesallers are looking for ?
From my point of view they go when they look ready, weighing up how much they've cost, how much more would be gained by running them on a bit longer and how many times they try to escape  ;) ;D
It's finding that magic point where you'll turn a (bigger) profit, instead of breaking even............ and that's not always 85Kg.
Karen  :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »
If you deal commercially there is no other option but to grow to the weights that they want for the market. 
suckers..... to say  15 kg
Spit pigs ..vary a little from 30 to 45 kg
Pork ......60 - 80 kg
bacon.....90-95 kg
barrows ...200 kg +
Choppers..... that will be determined at the time you turn them off and send them.

Price per kg starts off high and drops as the pig matures.

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
i have seen many pig lorries heading to vion at broxburn        i may be wrong but they look bigger than the 110 kilos  and since vion don't recognise the small producer all i can do is ask  on here  :farmer:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:07:54 pm by robert waddell »

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »
i have seen many pig lorries heading to vion at broxburn        i may be wrong but they look bigger than the 110 kilos  and since vion don't recognise the small producer all i can do is ask  :farmer:
Here in Oz they dont want anything  that is that heavy any more.   95 kg  I think is the cut off point.  But barrows are sold privately by me, so I can do the heavier. Pork weights....depends on the company and their market  but I do know there is some variation here. I dont grow bacon anymore, dont want to push a big animal around, so do pork at the lighter weight.   Also do afew suckers to 14 - 15 kg and a few spits......30 - 36 kg LW very few any heavier than that.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 01:53:56 pm »
i have seen many pig lorries heading to vion at broxburn        i may be wrong but they look bigger than the 110 kilos  and since vion don't recognise the small producer all i can do is ask  :farmer:
Here in Oz they dont want anything  that is that heavy any more.   95 kg  I think is the cut off point.  But barrows are sold privately by me, so I can do the heavier. Pork weights....depends on the company and their market  but I do know there is some variation here. I dont grow bacon anymore, dont want to push a big animal around, so do pork at the lighter weight.   Also do afew suckers to 14 - 15 kg and a few spits......30 - 36 kg LW very few any heavier than that.

Highest weight in OZ is 102kg for gilts and 105kg for boars at Linley Valley, Dorsogna wa sare desired weight, but I think you could get away with 110 kg at a push. Anything after that is penalised. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS