Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carrots etc  (Read 8236 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: carrots etc
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
Scraps out of the bucket  from the kitchen is fine as long as it does not have  meat in it.

Again, envious of you in Western Australia, Blonde!  Over here, it is illegal to feed pigs any food waste that has been in any kind of kitchen, even a kitchen in a vegan establishment.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 11:07:21 am »
Scraps out of the bucket  from the kitchen is fine as long as it does not have  meat in it.

Again, envious of you in Western Australia, Blonde!  Over here, it is illegal to feed pigs any food waste that has been in any kind of kitchen, even a kitchen in a vegan establishment.
That is an interesting comment............I know an english vet that tells me it is fine.......to feed the kitchen scraps to the pigs,a s long as their has been no meat near it....  we  are not allowed to feed meat, only meat meal, and blood meal.

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 11:36:30 am »
Scraps out of the bucket  from the kitchen is fine as long as it does not have meat in it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Not in the UK it's not  :o
In the UK it is ILLEGAL to feed any food which has passed though a kitchen, be it commercial, domestic or even veggitarian.
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »

That is an interesting comment............I know an english vet that tells me it is fine.......to feed the kitchen scraps to the pigs,a s long as their has been no meat near it....  we  are not allowed to feed meat, only meat meal, and blood meal.

Oh there's no medical or veterinary reason, Blonde, just the insanely overbearing and pointless bureacracy we have to put up with over here.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:03 pm »
We have pointless bureacracy here too...you are not alone there.  If the abattoir find a bone in the pigs guts we area in big trouble. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »
I know it seems like pointless bureacracy, but someone, somewhere has researched and decided that because of the potential cross contamination from 'unsafe' meat products (imported meat from countries where FMD etc are present) that feeding kitchen/catering waste is a potential source of disease. So it's a blanket ban for everyone  ::)
Whether we agree (or not  ;)) if we decide to keep pigs, we should only do so if we're prepared to follow the guidelines/laws relating to that. It can't be one law for the big commercial guys and another for smallholders/pet pigs - ALL pigs should be fed in accordance with the law. Otherwise it will only be a matter of time before we suffer another major disease outbreak. I don't want to be in any way responsible for that - that's why I stick to what 'the powers that be' say  ;)
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »
I am a law-abider, Karen, but I can and will exercise my right to express my opinion about laws which are ill thought through, do not address the original problem and/or cause more of a problem than they set out to solve.

So far in my experience, any regulation originating in Defra is more than likely to be all of the above.  It makes me seethe because (a) when the regs are stupid, more people will avoid / evade them, which is usually worse than having no reg at all, (b) it is not harder, indeed it is usually easier, to implement good regulations which offer some benefit to all those affected, and (c) Defra treat farmers with the utmost contempt, are dismissive and rude when we question them during their so-called 'consultations' and yet continue to implement rule after rule after rule which fail to solve any problem properly, all of which cause disruption and cost them and us money.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 11:46:14 pm »
Our boys get carrots regularly but not as their prime food. They love them raw and we've not noticed any ill-effects from them. The goats like them, too, but only the smaller ones as they seem to have trouble with chomping up larger ones.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 07:43:37 am »
With more and more food being brought in from third world countries ,Africa, South America, the Far east etc, where foot and mouth is rife it is vital that meat originating from abroad is kept well away from your pigs. and we all know that Defra is quite capable of releasing it's own brand from it's own labs whenever they feel the need.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS