Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Hot Teats 5 days after farrowing  (Read 2988 times)

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
Very Hot Teats 5 days after farrowing
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »
Hi

My gilt farrowed last Thursday to 9 very healthly piglets. Mum is feeding & drinking well and all piglets seem to be lively with full tummies. However i noticed when feeding her this morning her teats were very hot. She didn't mind me touching them and didn't appear to be in any pain. She is allowing the piglets to feed. Should i be concened about mastitis?

Any advice would be great.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Very Hot Teats 5 days after farrowing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »
It may just be the piglets but keep an eye on her and watch for her being uncomfortable when the piglets are feeeding. if its mastitis you'll notice a ridge along the length of her abdomen, it can occur when they're fed too well or picked up an infection in a cut on a teat. If its bothering you unduly a shot of long lasting antibiotic won't do any harm.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

gemmaspigs

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
Thanks Mandy

I watched her closely last night and again this morning. She is really good with them when they are feeding and she seems to be producing a good amount of milk. I will just keep an eye to see if she starts going off her food.

;D :pig: ;D

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:04 am »
I think it does get quite warm there anyway when they are producing milk - must be an excellent blood supply to there at the moment. That is me just guessing though. If it's hot hot and uncomfortable for her that's different. And yes her going off her food would be best sign - seems to be the sign for everything in pigs! Bless them!
x

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:49 am »
leri has explained it really well  a lot of people worry unnecessarily   especially when there is posts already on the subject and how bad it can get :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
Hi

My gilt farrowed last Thursday to 9 very healthly piglets. Mum is feeding & drinking well and all piglets seem to be lively with full tummies. However i noticed when feeding her this morning her teats were very hot. She didn't mind me touching them and didn't appear to be in any pain. She is allowing the piglets to feed. Should i be concened about mastitis?

Any advice would be great. 

if worried about Mastitis may be a dose of penicillin might not be such a  bad idea. for a period of 2 - 3 days....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS