Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runny bums  (Read 3058 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Runny bums
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »
Last week the pigs all had dirty runny bums.  The only thing I can think is that the day before hubby gave them a good clean straw bed.  Normally I just topped up and emptied the dirty part out.  Hubby emptied the whole lot and put a whole new bed down.

The following day they were fine, so hubby got a telling off and from now on he does it 'my way'.

I wonder why they decided to 'pig out' on it ???

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Runny bums
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:05:00 am »
New clean straw shouldn't have upset their tummies ??? Did he use disinfectant or powder that they might have ingested when he cleaned out? and have they by chance eaten anything that they shouldn't have, too much fruit or veg? Also if they're piglets on their mum and she's in season this would also make them scour. Also check your water troughs/drinkers, waste food sometimes gets caught up in the gubbins and can go nasty so have a sniff and a good swishing out.
Can't think of anythinelse.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
Hi ya, I think there may have been something airborne last week only 3 of my little GOS X Kune went down with runny bottoms they were also sick with it as well my dogs also got it after the pigs so did all the dogs on my lane and a lot of people I spoke to there dogs were ill too. It only lasted about 24 hrs.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:56 pm »
No he never used any disinfectant, basically took all the old stuff out and put a new bed down.  They're 16 weeks old.  Thankfully nothing been seen since, so I'm inclined to think they just gorged on the new straw. Perhaps it had been raining and being wimps they stayed indoors and ate rather than to into their grass paddock ???

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:48 am »
Last week the pigs all had dirty runny bums.  The only thing I can think is that the day before hubby gave them a good clean straw bed.  Normally I just topped up and emptied the dirty part out.  Hubby emptied the whole lot and put a whole new bed down.

The following day they were fine, so hubby got a telling off and from now on he does it 'my way'.

I wonder why they decided to 'pig out' on it ???
Sprinkle a little bentonite over the top when you put the new straw in, will make them feel fuller than they really are.  Normally it is not the new straw but an underlying problem.  Some Zinc Oxide in the feed will help get them over any problems. I would continue to put the new straw in  their pen, but better to change it fully when the pigs have left the pen altogether.  When you take out all the old straw while pigs are still in their.... you also take away their warm bed.  Straw composts and gives off heat as a by-product.  I would say the underlying problem was that the pgs were cold during the night and that is what upset them....Hence they had runny bums.....it takes  few days for the straw to give off  heat, a little moisure on the straw will help get the heating process going and the composting process going, allowing the pigs to sleep warm once again.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:58:50 pm »
  When you take out all the old straw while pigs are still in their.... you also take away their warm bed.  Straw composts and gives off heat as a by-product.  I would say the underlying problem was that the pgs were cold during the night and that is what upset them....Hence they had runny bums.....it takes  few days for the straw to give off  heat, a little moisure on the straw will help get the heating process going and the composting process going, allowing the pigs to sleep warm once again.

thanks Blonde, you live and learn  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS