Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boost for sow after farrowing  (Read 2145 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Boost for sow after farrowing
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
H All,
Well been a few weeks now since Flower had her piglets. Shes fit healthy and on the ball but as you know they tend to go all out thin whilst feedong milk etc, increased her ration but is there anything or a special feed that could give her a little boost?

HappyHippy

Re: Boost for sow after farrowing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »
Providing she's up to date with worming, I wouldn't worry about trying to put the weight back on too quickly.
Is she still nursing the piglets ? If yes and she's really dropping condition then providing they're around 6 weeks you could maybe wean some early - but I'd only do that if she was really dropping condition.
Mine like loads of fruit and cooked, sweet potatoes go down a treat (especially on colder mornings  ;)) but I'm not sure how much weight that would add, maybe go straight to fat  :-\ What feed are you using ? You might be able to switch to something with a higher protien level and see if that helps too ?
Karen  :wave:

flash

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:08 pm »
Hi i am kinda new at this and you guys probably know what your doing and i am probably pointing out the obvious

is she on the correct lactator diet? is it meal or pellets adding water will put her levels of consumption up sorry if this is all obvious :) and with a good creep diet i am sure you can wean from 3 weeks upwards maybe a thought if you are really worried

but the pigs i am used to manage to take 14 to weaning no problem best of luck

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:11:37 am »
Thanks for the replies and obvious stuff is always welcomed, there will always be someone new to pigs who search these threads and will find info very helpful indeed, so never apologise  ;)

Just about all the piglets are eating an amount of hard feed which is great, they are just over 5 weeks old and the piglets are good and strong, they are still on the milk and mum regularly sees to them.

Shes in good health, I just always get concerned when they drop weight like they do, its normal I know but always wondered if there was a additive or some such, just to help whilst they go through the process. Adding some higher proteins a simple and good idea, I have been mixing some grower in with the sow rolls grower or finisher I guess would suit.

As for weaning I use creep feed and the little blighters like nothing more than chewing on sow rolls  :D they love ehm they will sneak next door to flowers sister and nick her rolls, cheeky blighters :o Peppa doesn't seem at all concerned and takes being an auntie in her stride.  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:36:03 am »
Cobra is it sow rolls or sow and weaner rolls you're feeding ?
Some of the sow rolls have lower protien levels than the sow & weaner stuff - they're designed for dry sows as a maintenance diet. It depends what feed you use, but it should say either on the bag or there should be a paper label attached with % of protien, oils etc. Have a check of it and if you're unsure phone your feed supplier and they should be able to point you to a higher protien feed.
At 5 weeks you could wean, even just some of the bigger piglets, to give her a break.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:19:10 am »
H All,
Well been a few weeks now since Flower had her piglets. Shes fit healthy and on the ball but as you know they tend to go all out thin whilst feedong milk etc, increased her ration but is there anything or a special feed that could give her a little boost?
I would not give her milk I would boost her feed with soya meal, or canola meal or extra wheat in her diet and give her around 10 kg- 12 kg  of feed per day, she is trying to make milk and feed umpteen piglets as well as herself.  She will drink around 50 litres of water in the day to feed her piglets as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS