Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slapper and marks, ink etc  (Read 6278 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Slapper and marks, ink etc
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
Can you tell me please exactly what I need to order.

Is it a slapper stick thing, the identification numbers, and some ink.  Is that all?

My pigs are 16 weeks now, so a few more weeks to go, probably 10.  Will the 15mm letters be ok, and should we slap them soonish, does the mark wear off, or do you just do them a few days before they go to slaughter?

Also, sorry for all the questions, do they need to be slapped on both shoulders or just the one side?

thanks in advance ;)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Slapper and marks, ink etc
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:21:44 am »
Yes you need a slapper, the letters/numbers (your herd no.) and some ink.  You can also buy a pad, which we have - makes re-charging easier, but if you're only doing a few a toothbrush is fine (not hers!).  Size is not specified under law.

You can slap earlier, it is a permanent tattoo, but whilst it will be there, may be more difficult to see esp on coloured pigs, once dirt gets applied, so we only slap just before they go, some apply earlier on the gorunds that the letters then grow with the pigs.  you pays your money...  Also you only slap for slaughter, so if you change you mind and decide to keep a pig for breeding or sell to someone else, you won't want to have slapped it.

Under PRIMO 2007 (2008 in wales) pigs must be slapped on each shoulder. 
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »
Thanks very much for your reply Oaklands.  Deffo all going to slaughter mid-end November.  I notice the breeders ear tattoos seem to have disappeared.  Would he have done them with a slapper too, or is tattooing done by a different method?

The pigs are now getting used to us, and are more and more food orientated so don't run off in various directions when we arrive - they now mob us by the gate as soon as they hear the feed bins opening.  I'll get the stuff ordered and get them done whilst feeding as others have advised, nearer the time :thumbsup:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:34 pm »
Tatooing is done using sinilar but much smaller letters and numbers, but hedl in a plier.  If ink is not well applied they can disappear, and also get coverd in mud etc. !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38:21 pm »
The ear tattoos are done with a sort of pincer thing - like the slapper but with smaller sized numbers/letters in a pincer gripper (a bit like an ear tagger).

We did both shoulders and both buttocks last year - about three days before they went. They weren't the slightest bit bothered. They were scoffing apples at the time as their departure coincided with the apple harvest and we had mases fof cake from the pressing  ;D ;D We got a large thing of ink and then put a kitchen sponge into a plastic soap dish thing and poured some ink in there.

It's really important to trial run the slapper on something first to make sure you have the letters and numbers going in the right direction and the right way up.

Something we didn't do...... hence we had to do them again  ::) ::)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »

It's really important to trial run the slapper on something first to make sure you have the letters and numbers going in the right direction and the right way up.

Something we didn't do...... hence we had to do them again  ::) ::)

Ahhh thanks for that tip  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:51 am »
Hi,

Slapping can be done at any age from 10 weeks - and not just for slaughter - and can act as a theft deterrant.

If doing at 10 weeks use 10mm characters which will grow with the pig. If slapping at slaughter weight use 15mm characters - not a requirement but it is general accepted practice in the commercial world.

Try to get a slapper with pointed parallel pins rather than tapered pins - as they give better penetration and do not tend to clog so easily.

Unless you will be slapping 20 at a time do not bother with the expense of an ink pad.

Its also a lot easier and less fiddely if your slapper plate is manufactured to your herdmark - then you dont need to set up the characters, just slip in the plate and slap away....

We have a guide on slapping hints for the first timer, if you are interested pm me with your email and I will send you a copy.

Thanks

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
PM'd you SFS ;)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
We got our slapper and ink from SFS - last year I think I used a bit too much force on our pigs - they were very resentful of me for a couple of days after the deed! This year I did much less of a 'thwack' and the girls hardly flinched - although the mark wasn't easy to see (they were GOS x OSB and therefore very spotty) I can report that the mark was legible on the whole hams I got back  ;D ;D
Tish

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:07 pm »
Thanks, our pigs are pink so maybe a gentle whack will do  ;D

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
Slapper is ordered, so is the ink 8)

Roughly when do you do them, about a week before slaughter maybe?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »
I did ours 5 days before slaughter.
Tish

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
Hi,

It's completly upto you when you do them. The ink and slappers have been tested for retention in the skin after slaughter for slapmarks applied months before slaughter, a week before slaughter and at loading to the trailer.

My personal advice would be not to do it at loading time - as that can have its own stresses (on you) without adding a further complication to it.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »
Oh we shan't do at loading, that was the mistage last time with the ear tags, we had trouble loading them then as we were cruel enemies ;D

Next time, the plan is to do say a week before, and lock their shed up and put their bedding in the trailer we've bought, then hopefully they'll follow the bucket of feed in :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS