Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Running with the Ram  (Read 3683 times)

Plas Nant

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Conwy
    • Plas Nant Rare Breed Soay Sheep
Running with the Ram
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »
When I first took up keeping Soay sheep, the very experienced lady I bought my starter flock from advised me to leave the ram in all the time. This was just as well because I only had limited space anyway and couldn't accommodate him separately. Three lambings on, this seems to have been fine. They all lamb within a week of each of each other and at roughly the same time each year. This has been with two different rams. As I've dealt with other breeders, several have expressed surprise at leaving the ram in all the time. I'm not quite sure why apart from a possible lambing timing issue, but this hasn't been a problem for me. I assume that my ewes all come into season once and at the same time, otherwise I would have lambs popping out at all-sorts of times. Can anyone advise of the pro's and cons of running with the ram all the time as against putting him in only for tupping?

Bob
North Wales based breeder and supplier of pedigree, registered Soay sheep. Member of RBST and Soay Sheep Society.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Running with the Ram
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:25 pm »
I think that with proper primitive breeds like Soays it would work well as their cycling is more restricted by season. More developed 'modern' commercial breeds might well get in lamb at the wrong time of year, or not all at the same time (or both). And one breed, tho cant remember which,one of the southern ones, is reknowned for being able to get in lamb any time of year....which might not be ideal.

Im impressed that it works for you tho, tho I would worry about the ewe lambs being bothered by the ram, tho it sounds as though you havent maybe found that an issue either?

Plas Nant

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Conwy
    • Plas Nant Rare Breed Soay Sheep
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:58:44 pm »
Thanks, sounds like its another positive aspect of the primitive breed. No problem with the ram and the lambs, infact, the rams are very protective of the lambs. I've heard of several tales of Soay rams protecting the young ones, even down to killing a fox once.
North Wales based breeder and supplier of pedigree, registered Soay sheep. Member of RBST and Soay Sheep Society.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:27:45 pm »
Portlands are the ones you're talking about as the ones that can get in lamb all year around, although saying that my girls all cycled at the same time and lambed within a week of each other (7 in 7), all bar 'blue bum' who is the scatiest of them all - I don't think the ram got hold of her until quite late on in November...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:15 pm »
Well I am completely confused now.

The Dorset is the one renowned for being able to lamb all year round.  I said this once before and we ended up discovering that Hampshires and almost all the primitive breeds (I'm sure including Soays) can lamb all year round too!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:43 pm »
Hi

I have soays and leave my ram in all year,this has worked very well for me as he is a great tup and is very friendly which makes it easy to do anything i want to with the flock,i have 10 ewes and this year all but 1 lambed within 10 days of each other,however not sure if you have seen my post about 4 weeks ago about a shock lamb,yes you guessed it the ewe that didnt have a lamb with the others then had one,sadly the little lamb died aged about 3 weeks old,but Jethro is still in with them and i have the 2 ram lambs in the field next to them i will not be moving him in with them as this might seem silly but he seems to keep order of the pack and there is peece all round.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS