Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: method of feeding cubes  (Read 4099 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
method of feeding cubes
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »
When feeding pig nuts, do you soak them first ?

When feeding sugar beet cubes, do you soak them first for pigs ?  We always soak them for 24 hours for the horses, so I don't like feeding them dry - although local folk say you can with pigs.

Basically are your feeds quite sloppy - or just dry nuts ?

robert waddell

Re: method of feeding cubes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »
it is up to you what type of food you give your pigs     also what your pigs are used to  pigs on dry food have to get used to wet feeding and vice verse
sugar beet depends on the volume it is always best to feed it wet and save any problem
i take it you are feeding sugar beet to bulk out there feeding     ours just get there sow rolls and plenty of water :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:30 am »
We feed dry sow nuts and get fresh sugar beet in winter which we shred. Would definetly soak the dry stuff though as might swell in tummy.
HTh
mandy  :pig:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »
We feed dry sow nuts and get fresh sugar beet in winter which we shred. Would definetly soak the dry stuff though as might swell in tummy.
HTh
mandy  :pig:

Thanks guys. 

yes - it's just to bulk out the feed and use less GM feed with nasty ingredients ! Wish I could get fresh beet - or indeed any fresh roots !  The swelling in the tum is what I was worried about.

Thanks for advice; we've been soaking it, but not sure if it was necessary.
Jane

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »
can you feed beet whole or halfed...... something to chew on

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
some will say cut them up others will say feed them whole      just like potatoes       can you actually buy sugar beet  as harvested     we dont have suger beet in scotland not since they shut the factory in cupar :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
Ime in norfolk...... 2 factories and beet around every corner....can even pick enough up off the roads i use
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:48:04 pm by harry »

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:10:58 pm »
oh to live in Norfolk again !  sugar beet in every second field !

I've never actually seen it growing in Scotland - and even turnips are expensive.  Nothing grown here, other than whisky distilleries  ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »
yes but you can at least go haggis shooting, theres none down here, only pheasents

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:39 am »
Since they shut York its harder to come by here too.
We fed whole to the bigger pigs and shred it in our turnip chopper for littler ones.
Once Delia got in where we stored it and she came out blown up and tottering!! ;D A raging good fart cleared her tummy gas but think she had a bit of a poorly head the next day  ;D
Mandy  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
HI, I tend to feed very wet in the summer helps to keep fluids up and a little warm water in the winter to warm cold tummies, I live in the Somerset and use barley for my pigs also to wow down on the prepared nuts, if feed to sloppy though I do find they finish it far to quickly.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:07 am »
When feeding pig nuts, do you soak them first ?

When feeding sugar beet cubes, do you soak them first for pigs ?  We always soak them for 24 hours for the horses, so I don't like feeding them dry - although local folk say you can with pigs.

Basically are your feeds quite sloppy - or just dry nuts ?
You feed your nuts dry, but you could put a little tallow on them to keep the dust down on them.  Always have plenty of water available.  Pigs will only  waste nuts soaked in water.     Sugar beet can be put in the ice chest to get it cold, as they like it cold,  This is more of a treat than a true feed, although beets are used as feed in other parts of the world, australian not being one of them. we feed grain and purely grain,

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »
tallow is banned in Europe if derived from animals :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS