Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Arcs in the South East  (Read 5596 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Pig Arcs in the South East
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
Hi all,

Am finally after much timewasting, excuses and so on, ready to get a couple of weaners to fatten up over 6months or so. Purely for my own (and the familys!) use. There are some excellent threads on here already and have many questions answered but I wondered if anyone could advise on pig arcs? What size would I need for 2 -4 (if the first 2 prove successful may 'expand' to 4 lol) what am I feeding them on - is it really as straight forward as walking into my feed store and asking for a bag on marriage pig feed? and would simple electric fencing be sufficient as I was advised by a pig farmer at a smallholders fair recently?

Thanks all!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

robert waddell

Re: Pig Arcs in the South East
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »
if you are relying on electric fencing they have to be used to the electric fence before you get them
yes it is as simple as walking into the local feed store and asking
depends on if you are located near a breakers yard you can get the containers of the GPO transits they are big enough for 4 pigs  :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »
See some of the answers in topic below 'thinking of getting some pigs'.
If you're only going to do one batch of weaners to see how you get on, why not make your own pig house theres lots of suggestions in various books and on various websites, but remember it will need to robust, windproof and weather proof to survive the coming winter!
If you want to buy an ark most ag merchants sell them but beware of paying up front on internet sites there have been a number of bad experiences recently, one of the others will no doubt be along with a reliable recommendation (can't help as we make our own, OH is a builder!)
pig feed agian most ag merchants sell pig feed as for sow/weaner nuts/cubes 16% protein  probably the most well known brand in your area.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »
Charlotte & Dean at newclose farm in frome do pig arks, which are good quality & value and they deliver.

www.new-close-farm.co.uk

New weaners will need a period of 'training' to the electric fence as they tend to run forwards through it initially instead of back from it. Our weaners are in electric fencing from birth, as it makes it much easier to move the pens around before the ground becomes too trashed,so they tend to be more respectful of it before they go to their new homes, but the older ones are fine once they are used to it.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »
Ardingly arks do pigs arks (always a clue on the name) - in West Sussex

www.ardingly-arks.co.uk

Would tend to suggest a 6*8, which would be ample for 4-6 pigs through to slaughter weight, so would cope with your plans.

On feed, you can go for "growers" followed by "finishers", or just feed sow nuts - dpends on whether you are "speed finishing" or just growing pigs at their pace.

Simple electric is very effective if as Robert says they are trained to it first

Good luck !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Mel

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »
 :wave: Being new to rearing pigs myself I used http://www.animalarks.co.uk/animalarks.php?id=30 for my 8 x 6 and was thrilled with the level of professionalism and help received.You can also call them up if you have any problems with your pigs and they would happily advise you which route to take.

No pressure sales,easy to deal with,I have to say,I would thoroughly recommend them!

I have fed mine on rolls and lots of veg throughout and are really happy!

I wish you very good luck,and enjoy,it is so much fun ;D

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:09 pm »
HI, I would definitely get a nice decent pig ark (money permitting) as I promise you once you have 1 pig you most certainly will have another and another and another they are so addictive, electric fence is the pigs choice they will either respect the fence or just plough straight through it, you can put as many batteries on it as you like they will get through the fence, I have 1 in pig sow who is very respectful and my boar "Bob" who is also respectful though I do have another in pig sow who will not stay behind the fence at all, I tried her for one night in the same ark/fence with Bob she had completely trashed the fence during the night and escaped however, Bob was still in his area and didn't move even though there was no fence bless him :pig:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:32:03 am »
Hi all,

Am finally after much timewasting, excuses and so on, ready to get a couple of weaners to fatten up over 6months or so. Purely for my own (and the familys!) use. There are some excellent threads on here already and have many questions answered but I wondered if anyone could advise on pig arcs? What size would I need for 2 -4 (if the first 2 prove successful may 'expand' to 4 lol) what am I feeding them on - is it really as straight forward as walking into my feed store and asking for a bag on marriage pig feed? and would simple electric fencing be sufficient as I was advised by a pig farmer at a smallholders fair recently? Get some pallets and some corrugated  tin and knock one together on your own,  They do marvellously well, keep pigs warm and dry and they are cheap. Pellets is fine to feed to pigs, you get that from your stock feed store.  Electric fencing is easy to s et up and pigs stay in  their pens, even if the fence is off for any length of time.    Mindyou they do tests it with their snouts, but some are too shy to persist and aslong as their is feed in their pens they will stay home....big secret to getting them to stay.....

Thanks all!
Mx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS