Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large white worm  (Read 9097 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Large white worm
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:07:11 pm »
I found a long white thing hanging out of the gilts posterior (!) this evening. Pulled it out (Gloves, before you ask). Now I was undecided as to whether it was an undigested root or a worm. It was about 8 inches long, the interior seemed to be full of liquid and coiled fibre. I found another in faeces (a.k.a  poo  ;)) lying on the ground. Having done a little research online I think my new weaners might have Large white worm (Ascaris suum). It looked like the picture at http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/150/internal-parasites-worms-etc , only half as long. The weaners appear to have been kept confined in a shed for their first nine weeks, before we got them, might this help in any diagnosis. Assuming it is worms, which might explain their reluctance to eat too much, how should I treat it.

On a more positive note, it's a gas to watch the two older boys in the garden, if they walk to the far end the pigs make a manic dash down to them. If they walk back up the pigs come charging after them. You'd swear that they were playing with them. Always leaves me in stitches of laughter.

Morgan  :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Large white worm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:49 pm »
Don't know about treatment - but I read this post with some apprehension. From the title, you just know it's not going to be pleasant.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:46:43 pm »
Hey, i'm sure it's worse for the pig. Just picture it, she has the white worm, and half of the frickin' internet is talking about her! Her ears must be burning! lol. If she exhibits any signs of paranoia tomorrow i'll tell her it's ok, people really ARE talking about her  :)

Morgan :farmer:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:50:52 pm »
have you wormed your pigs?
always best to worm any new pigs straight away, and then every three or four months. i use whatever worming powder the local agricultural supplier recommends, i think the current one is flubenol?. if you think about it they are bound to pick up parasites as they are so liberal with their diet.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:04 pm »
Morgan,

Remind me when you're up on Saturday, I'll give you some panacur pellets to treat it.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:34 pm »
Gavin,

you're a god send. I was going to hold off on worming 'til Saturday so i could dose the whole lot together. i just figured there might be eggs in the faeces or something that might contaminate your weaner.

See you Saturday.
Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:28 am »
The eggs will be in the faeces, which will contaminate your pasture.  Is it at all possible to worm the pigs then move them on to clean pasture a day or so after?  Or can you clear all the droppings each day?  Lovely to hear of the pigs playing with the children, our piglets have to make do with the dog, such a let down, they love kids.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:37:24 am »
I was hoping that I didn't have to move them, but figured I might have to. How long until I can move them back?
Morgan (Not a smiling farmer today! Tired)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »
Ideally a few weeks, however if you can worm them indoors for instance, so that the displaced eggs dont get into the soil keep them in for 24 hours, (during which time if you can poo pick all the better) should be ok.  Please dont let me panic you, I tend to be a bit ott with worms as we kept horses for 27 years, makes one a bit hysterical when it comes to worms.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »
Sorry to sound a bit thick, but how many weeks is a few. I don't want to take any chances  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 08:19:41 am »

I honestly dont know, it depends a lot on the weather, if you have a cold snap, frost will kill off the eggs, if it is very hot and dry that too kills them off.  They do best in damp warm conditions.  With horses which is what I base the pigs on, about 6 weeks.  Of course it depends a lot on if you can leave them off that paddock for 6 weeks.  Otherwise just a couple of days but poo pick the paddock.  The act of worming them is the most important bit.  If any go for slaughter worm 6 weeks before slaughter date.  Breeders I worm a couple of days before they are due.  I worm everything ever 6 months regardless.  Used to be 3 monthly until I was told that was too much, and I was damaging the pasture.

Dont worry, HM

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:54:42 am »
Je vous remercie!  :farmer:

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »
Worm with Flubenol powder two doses a week apart.

Then add Diatamous Earth at 10grams per 10kg bodyweight in their daily feed.

Worms will not reappear as long as the environment is worm free.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »
Pig worms are seriously massive! We got a jab from the vet for less than £2 and that was her sorted for three months I think....... Dextomax if I recall correctly

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:45 pm »
<Shudder> WHY did I click on this?!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS