Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of getting pigs  (Read 6651 times)

robert waddell

Re: Thinking of getting pigs
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
the swimming is the least of your problems               the pollution aspect is far more serious with pigs getting access to a water course :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:21 am »
My advice to you from the sounds of your posts is you need to read as much as you can on the subject.
Get a couple of good books Getting started by Andy Case, The National Trust one by Richard Lutwyche or traditional pigkeeping by Carol ? (can't remember name).
Read 'Getting Started' section on GOS website www.oldspots.org.uk or go on a course at Oakland pigs or somewhere nearby, visit a pig keeper in your area too. Remember its a big committment taking on stock. Visiting twice a day every day you have them.
Keeping pigs for your freezer is very rewarding, hopefully you'll break even and have some great meat into the bargain. Try not to get too obsessed about the cost else you'll end up cutting corners and underfeeding your animals.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:42 am »
Hi -  we have recently (about 10 months ago) started keeping outdoor pigs.  My OH did work on a commercial pig farm in his youth but much prefers the outdoor life for them.  There is obviously no comparison in time consumption, feed costs, taste etc.  I was not that keen to begin with but after buying two Berkshire weaners and then some GOS I have become addicted.  They are so amusing.  All five of them are now ready for mating and indeed the Berkshires have been mated and we recently (Sunday) managed to get a good GOS boar.  They soon get to know the time for their feed and look forward to the odd treats like apples, pears etc.  We live in France and have quite a bit of scrub and wooded land which we hope to eventually fence off for them.  They will have a good life here and hopefully we will have some nice tasty meat.  Probably very little financial reward but ...   Jan

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:04 am »
An old topic i know but was rooting round t'internet for some animal welfare info and came across this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/Smallholders/DG_189284

which i've never seen before, considering it from central ::) govt its quite good :o

Might be helpful to any newbie.

Mandy  :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:35 pm »
Thats a lovely pic oaklands. Is that pig one of yours?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS