Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: castration  (Read 14311 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: castration
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »
i think ive lost the plot......... my question was how to properly castraite kks in the first week, can it be done with a rubber band?

robert waddell

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »
no

robd

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »
Why isnt there a chemical castration thingy  taken orally, there is for humans.

There is a temporary chemical castration implant available for dogs called suprelorin. The problem with using anything like this in farm animals would be drug residues in the meat.... although selectively feeding such meat to certain individuals does have some appeal....javascript:SmiliesDialog.insert('[6]');

HappyHippy

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
i think ive lost the plot......... my question was how to properly castraite kks in the first week, can it be done with a rubber band?
Pigs CANNOT be castrated in this way Harry. Unless you know how to repair a hernia and and have the facilities to do so I really wouldn't recommend castrating Kunes in the standard way pigs are done due to the high risk of inguinal hernias.
Usually KK's are castrated by a vet, under anesthetic and usually around 6-8 weeks old.
Hope that answers your question
Karen

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
i will ask the vet how much £ssss but i would guess to much to be viable.

HappyHippy

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
Mine charges around £50 per piglet depending on how much anesthetic is used (depends on the weight) for meat pigs I certainly think it's unviable. I have castrated Kunes and entire Kunes and those which are castrated are certainly much smaller than those which are not (around 2/3 of the size) If you'll not be having any gilts around you've not got the same chance of taint anyway, so to be honest, I wouldn't bother too much about it.
Karen  :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:48 am »
the reason i wanted castraited is that the 4 i have now will be killed at about 11 months....... i wanted some to grow on to 15+ months for more bacon and no boar taint................. is that correct thinking ?
evenup to 18 - 24 months for Parma Ham.    This is around the best  time to have them slaughtered.   the meat has become mature without having all the hormones running around in the meat.   I do all ours at day old, they hardley know what has hit them and they are much less trouble.  Getting the vetto do them is coslty and having them done bigger  by a vet is a nightmare.     There is a consequence of losing them also.

HappyHippy

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 11:39:13 am »
Blonde - is it Kune Kunes you have ? They're much more prone to herniating and shouldn't be done in the standard way. Would love to hear that you're castrating day old Kune Kunes without problems  ;)
Karen x

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »
Blonde - is it Kune Kunes you have ? They're much more prone to herniating and shouldn't be done in the standard way. Would love to hear that you're castrating day old Kune Kunes without problems  ;)
Karen x
We dont have Kune Kunes in this country and we are not allowed to import any thing that is pig either.  Makes it difficult   The gov. closed the doors back in 1992....so what is here is here and what is not is not allowed in.  the gov is trying to keep out such things as Foot and Mouth, and Mad Cow Disease, PRRS and PCV2 etc.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 08:21:14 pm »
YEAH my question was about kunes only........ OK wont bother, to much £ssss and to much possible trouble, i will leave them alone, JOB DONE, thanks for info.........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS