Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: castration  (Read 14315 times)

robert waddell

Re: castration
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »
the biggest problem with castrating anything is the cross legged effect especially males  and i am no different
pick up any pig and squeals like hell  once the castration is done and back on its feet it is away playing or feeding  do the same to a lamb or calve and they are in agony after the ring goes on  so what one is less agony for the animal
our old vet done the same as Sally's vet and even with anesthetic for dehorning the cattle still writhe and bawl in agony when they are getting the horns off
all these animal welfarists should actually see the above mentioned operations performed and not to sit spouting wisdom that they never had and never likely to get :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »
the biggest problem with castrating anything is the cross legged effect especially males  and i am no different
pick up any pig and squeals like hell  once the castration is done and back on its feet it is away playing or feeding  do the same to a lamb or calve and they are in agony after the ring goes on  so what one is less agony for the animal
our old vet done the same as Sally's vet and even with anesthetic for dehorning the cattle still writhe and bawl in agony when they are getting the horns off
all these animal welfarists should actually see the above mentioned operations performed and not to sit spouting wisdom that they never had and never likely to get :farmer:

I bow to your superior wisdom, so eloquently expressed. :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »
rosemary it is a five day limit in Scotland

Five days, 7 days - doesn't it cause pain and distress?
I'm baaaaaaack  ;) :wave:
Really, honestly Rosemary - No, it doesn't.
I had always thought "barbaric, heartless proceedure - I'm never doing that" but having seen it expertly carried out by Lillian and having done ours, I can say, hand on heart, that it really doesn't seem to bother them - although this obviously depends on the care and skill shown by the person doing it, I've seen some horrendous stuff on youtube >:(
They actually make more noise getting picked up than they do during the 'proceedure'. For me, it means they can all run in family groups without the worry of unwanted pregnancies or any chance of taint (I know, I know - not everyone can smell it, you don't get it in rare breeds........but I can smell it, therefore this is the way I do it  :-\)

On the subject of Kune Kune castration - pure bred Kunes can be more pronel to ingunal hernias than standard pigs. The standard castration has more chance of resulting in a hernia due to the width of the ingunal canal. We took our first litter to be castrated at 6 weeks old - the vet (despite orders otherwise  ::) they always know best  >:()) performed standard castrations - at 6 weeks and with no anesthetic, my poor babies ! - and guess what - we had an emergency hernia repair op to deal with. Needless to say, we no longer use that vet, preferring to use one who does listen to their punters  ;) and the piglets have a closed castration under anesthetic around 6 weeks old. If I was running Kunes on for meat though (all boars with no gilts beside them) I wouldn't be looking for them to be castrated - it can stunt their growth too much sometimes. But for 'pet' Kunes a castrated boar is definately the way to go - no chance of any 'boarish' behaviour when it comes to food, toys, being boss etc.
HTH (and sorry for the mammoth reply, can you tell I've been missing you all !)
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 11:12:08 pm »
Thank you, Karen, for taking the time to explain what I needed to know - me not being an EXPERT pig farmer, just some idiot smallholder.

Good to have you back  :wave:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:06 am »
OOh Sally, I'll let you be the one to take the welly off,,,!

We started feeding a handsome feral tomcat and finaly got to stroke him , the intention was to catch and take him to the vet to  be done, I managed to grab him by the scruff and lift him, at which point he twisted and shreaded my hand and arm with teeth, claws and what must have been a chainsaw..........It will be a concrete welly next time I catch him.

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:26 am »
rosemary i think you are doing yourself an injustice with your comment
i have had the missfortune of meeting a lot of EXPERTS yes they are experts because they have never been shown a better way to perform there tasks  :farmer:

chrismm662

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
I always remember my mum castrating piglets then throwing the testicles to the dogs (they would line up for them)
We laughed at a young farm worker who, when shown what to do, went very pale and said he didnt think he could do that, but after thinking about it I didnt think I could do it either !

robd

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:24 pm »
I wish they were allowed to castrate dogs and cats the same way - all the preparation for and recovery from general anaesthesia is unpleasant for the animal.  Many years ago the vets used to castrate cats by stuffing them head-first into a welly.  Cut, pull, puff of antibiotic powder, release cat, all done, took less than 2 minutes start to finish.
Many years ago they used to think that blood-letting was a cure-all for numerous conditions, many years ago people thought the world was flat, many years ago women weren't allowed to vote.......

Thankfully time moves on...

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »
Thank you, Karen, for taking the time to explain what I needed to know - me not being an EXPERT pig farmer, just some idiot smallholder.

Another idiot smallholder here :o, and qualified vet nurse, who thinks taking a scalpel blade to any animal with out analgesia definately hurts!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 08:14:54 pm »

[/quote]
Many years ago they used to think that blood-letting was a cure-all for numerous conditions, many years ago people thought the world was flat, many years ago women weren't allowed to vote.......

Thankfully time moves on...
[/quote] are yes the good old days, women can vote, :o WHAT AND WHO FOR?????????

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 09:06:42 pm »
We don't routinely castrate but we did have some Mangalitzas done. Our vet did it at 2 weeks old and he said that in Scotland it is ok to do it without anaesthetic up to 1 month old. I have to say the piglets squealed far more when they were being held than when they were being cut, but as an anaesthetist by profession I would have liked to use a bit of local anaesthetic, for my sake if not for theirs

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 08:48:18 am »
Isn't it funny that the same people who think notching is wrong will quite happily castrate an animal with no anaesthetic. Try slicing your finger with a knife and tell me it doesn't hurt, but hey its only an animal. ???
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:33 am »
actuallly i did that, rubbed my finger on  a megger sharp meat cleaver, didnt hurt a bit, but bled a lot. i attended an accident with a motor clylist laying on the road with a snapped leg, he didnt feel a thing.Human body piecing apparently doesnt hurt, ear tagging also. i suspect a blunt knife job may hurt but a sharp one probably not. Why isnt there a chemical castration thingy  taken orally, there is for humans.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 05:27:00 pm »
Isn't it funny that the same people who think notching is wrong will quite happily castrate an animal with no anaesthetic. Try slicing your finger with a knife and tell me it doesn't hurt, but hey its only an animal. ???

Y'know, if you cut yourself with a really sharp scalpel it actually doesn't hurt a bit at the time.

I wish I could say I thought ear tagging didn't hurt.  Done correctly it mostly doesn't hurt but sometimes it does, however careful you are.  It does seem to be only a short sharp shock though.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:37 pm »
notching  they squeal like mad and they get covered in blood  once they are back on there feet they don't bother
tattooing they squeal like mad with not so much blood once they are back on there feet they don't bother
castrating they squeal like mad  there is no blood once they are back on there feet they don't bother unlike lambs and calves that show signs of distress when they have the rubber band on there scrotum sack
scalpels are meant to be sharp to work effectively :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS